Making a Very Simple Quilt

Cheating? Would it be cheating to buy a yard of fabric and sew squares and such on to that and call it a quilt? Is this even a craft?

By Megan

Best Answer

I think it sounds like a good project. I am curious why you'd be worried about it being a "cheat". If you make it, it is hand-crafted! Don't let anyone make you feel like it is less than marvelous! If you learn from making it--fabulous. If you are happy with the result, all the better. Our ancestors all did with what they had, and techniques varied person to person. Even as a child, a friend's mom made bed quilts for all the kids by piecing a top, using a sheet for the bottom, and putting an inexpensive blanket in between. After finishing the edges, she used yarn to "tie" the quilt, so nothing would shift. We were all so impressed. They were made with scraps from the clothes she had sewn for the kids; and were made with great love.

Call your finished project a "folk art quilt" and I bet you will impress people! Good luck, learn much, and have fun!

Best Answer

The old folks use to use a large piece on the back and sew remnants together. They then stitched the handmade part to the front part but it was turned wrong side out. After you sew about 3/4 of it turn it right side out and finish off the seam. They called them bag quilts. Creating crafts are in your mind's eye. There is no right or wrong in most crafting items. You'll amaze yourself sometimes at what you can think up to do with practically nothing.

Best Wishes,

I am not sure that I understand what you mean. If you mean making a top with squares, and a back with the fabric, and no batting between, I wouldn't call that a quilt, maybe a coverlet or throw would be better. I don't see why it is not a legitimate craft, since it is something new you make by hand. It sounds quick, easy, and a good way to make a throw for the couch or recliner!

I have done just that, and I know others that do the same, the (quilt) that I made, took me a year to accomplish, I found the colors i wanted and then I had to wait till it got cold again to find the flannel that I wanted to make the back with, then I tied it all together with yarn and sent it on its way. I know it was enjoyed, and because i made it with my own two hands, it meant more to the ones that received it, and I was proud also. Go ahead, try it, it will have been done by you!

Good luck.

Years ago I bought a sheet which had squares marked off and different colors of flowers in each block. I layered it with

an old blanket and another sheet, put it in a large hoop and hand quilted it. Have had it for years. A purist quilter would call this cheating, but things we create and which make us happy with the results are great.

Enjoy your creation.

You can find cheater fabric if you want the item to look a bit more authentic, but your project sounds like fun, too!

If you go with a cheater, it simply means that the fabric looks like it's been sewn together already. Then, you do a running stitch along the seams of the fabric, (where the pieces are together but are not really sewn), putting the backing and filler together.

They are pretty and fun. And they save a lot of time. This is a current page of some that are on ebay right now. ... _nkw=cheater+fabric&_sacat=14339

Good Luck.

My 4 year old granddaughter gets to make them by taking a piece of fleece for her dolls size and just cutting fringe. So what ever is good.

I mean for an example, say you had a sheet, like from your bed, and you sewed random pieces of fabric to it, put batting behind it, then a back to it and sew it all together. would that considered a quilt?

Pink and white simple patchwork quilt on bed.
Making a Quilt
Crafts QuiltingAugust 2, 2010
Up close photo of quilt binding.
Binding a Quilt
Paper pieced quilt top, endless chains pattern.
Making a Paper Pieced Quilt
A pile of old photos.
Making a Photo Quilt
Colorful Block Quilt
Making a Block Quilt