GiftsMothers Day

Memory Jar For Mother's Day

When last Mother's Day rolled around, I thought my mother would enjoy reading my own remembrances. I took a decorative glass jar with a lid and made a "Jar of Childhood Memories" for her to read. I typed all kinds of moments remembered from my childhood. Each one began with "I remember".

Example: I remember you driving me to music lessons every Saturday. Once I started, the memories just flowed. I typed them all up, double-spaced, and cut them into single memories.

I filled my memory jar, tied a pretty bow around it and put it in the mail to my mom who lives 400 miles away. She later told me that my memory jar was so much more personal than a card. The whole family had fun reading and remembering each and every one. She said it had taken her back down memory lane, which she hadn't traveled in years.

By vguy from Earle, AR

I did the same thing for my Mom several years ago. In the bottom of the jar I wrote her a letter telling her and my Dad what a joy it was being their daughter and how much I appreciated them. They still have it on display and from time to time draw out a slip of colored paper with the memory written on it. Its great for Mom now that she is in the beginning stages of dementia, a sad thing to see your loved one go through...

That's funny.Years ago my daughters now 26 and 29 made me a memory jar. Then they were 7 and 10, in an old glass candle jar they cleaned out and covered it with material and lace. I remember when thing inside on little strips of paper. I just took it out the other day as I was missing my girls and reread them. I think this is a wonderful gesture and blessing to any mother. Hope yours is as blessed as i have been through the years,

That is such a wonderful I idea. Make sure you DO remember your mother this weekend. My wonderful, sweet mother is gone, so appreciate your mothers while you still have them.

As I read your post, I am looking at "My" beautiful crystal jar full of memories my daughter made for me a couple years ago. I have it right here on my desk where I can always open it up and pull out a special memory. It is absolutely one of my most loved gifts ever. What a great idea!!

I worked at a Assisted Living facility where one of these was made by a residents daughter for her for her birthday and I'm telling you it was so beautiful! I sat with her one day after work and read the ones she had previously read and I just couldn't stop reading them. They were so simple and yet a memory. One was as simple as * Remember when we made cookies for the holidays and we dropped cookie dough then the dog ate it off the floor and got diareah?! lol

Then the lady would talk about the surrounding time. She loved every second of it! Anyone who is able to make one

of these for their parents I recommend it. It's so pleasing and gave this lady so much to think about and remember.

She used a gallon jar, put a pretty ribbon with nice scrapbook stick on on the top. so nice! All the messages were typed and the papers folded twice as to not be able to read from the outside.