Mother's Chicken Salad

Easy to prepare and simple ingredients make this a favorite salad for any day all year long. Create a delicious sandwich to eat with soup, or use it as the main attraction on a luncheon plate and call in the troops.

• 3 cups cooked chicken breasts (shredded or chopped)
  • 2/3 cup dark or golden raisins
  • 1 cup pecans, chopped small
  • 1 cup chopped celery
  • 1/2 cup chopped red or purple onion
  • 1 cup pineapple tidbits, drained, save juice

Dressing:

• 1/4 cup pineapple juice
  • 1 Tbsp. yellow ballpark mustard
  • 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
  • 1 tsp. curry powder
  • 1/2 cup Hellmann's Mayonnaise (or the best you can find)
  • 1 cup sour cream

Directions:

Whisk all ingredients for dressing in a small bowl, cover and refrigerate.

Chop and mix all ingredients for salad in a large bowl. Pour dressing mixture over salad, and mix gently to distribute dressing into salad. Cover and refrigerate until serving.

Make sandwiches using bread of choice and add lettuce of choice. I like fresh young spinach leaves best or tender leaves of fresh mustard greens. Add a pretty bunch of grapes to plate and serve with a cup of hot soup.

If serving as a salad, place rounded scoops of salad on lettuce or greens of choice. Add thick slices of red-ripe tomato, and a few cucumber slices on the side, with a sprig or two of parsley or fresh mint.

Serve with basket of mixed crackers or hard crusty rolls.

Servings: 6-8
Prep Time: 30 Minutes

Source: This was my Mother's favorite chicken salad, and because it was the only food she ever used curry in, the curry was always kept in the refrigerator along with the paprika. I was fascinated with those spices as a child and always wanted her to use them more often. Deviled eggs got sprinkled with paprika so of course, I "liked" them whether I did or not. LOL

By Pookarina from Boca Raton, FL

Another winner! Thanks. I also add green grapes cut in half.

In a word? Yummy-yum-yum! The raisins, pineapple and curry make this sound very exotic. Thanks for another delicious-sounding summer recipe.

This sounds so delicious, and just perfect for me. Keeper, I like your suggestion about adding grapes. I just love grapes in a salad. There are a lot of good recipes on here today - a lot of good meals. I am voting for this, even though I have a recipe in contention. Mmm.

I would love this salad with just the thin Triscuit crackers and a big glass of ice tea. It's been so hot and miserable that all I can think of is something cool and refreshing. I would cook the chicken in my crock pot just so I don't have to be around a stove at all.

Thank you Pookarina.

MisMachado

The magic word for me in this recipe is "curry". I love curry, but nothing too spicy hot like in some of the Chinese and other Oriental and Indian dishes. There really are not that many foods I cook which has curry in it, so this will be a very welcomed addition.

Thank you so much Julia.

Another Thumbs Up.

Suziq9

I don't think we have Hellmann's, but we have Duke's which is made by the same company if I'm not mistaken. We like chicken salad and often buy it already made. I'd like to try your recipe all except the onions. I'll leave them out. And I'm adding the green grapes. This is the best source of the best recipes. Thanks to everyone for the combined ideas.

Thumbs up Pookarina !

HokeyPoke

Chicken, mayo, celery, S&P, grapes, walnuts makes great chicken salad!

Food and Recipes Recipes Salads ChickenJuly 12, 2011
Mother's Day Party Ideas
Mother's Day Party Ideas
Mom and Kids Celebrating Mother's Day
Celebrating Mother's Day
Chicken a la King in puff pastry shell
Chicken A' La King Recipes
Cute Little Girl in Chicken Costume
Making a Chicken Costume
🎄
🍂