BeveragesRecipes

Low Acid Coffee - Starbucks Substitute

Category Beverages

(also can be made as diabetic decaf dairy free low acid coffee)

*Brew extra strong decaf hazelnut coffee to keep in fridge.
Add some of it to low carb soy milk (or milk), 1/4 cup of water and flavor with any two DaVinci Gourmet Sugar free flavorings (zero carbs).

My favorites are Vanilla, Coconut, Kahlua, and Amaretto. I buy the flavoring at Ross or Marshall's at $6 for a large bottle. It can also be purchased at a lo carb store or ordered at http://www.davincigourmet.com
I like it iced or hot.

To to keep my protein intake up I add a scoop of soy protein powder to the above mentioned mix and whizz it in the blender. Makes it palatable. The coffee is any brand from the grocery store has that is decaf and hazelnut and I prepare it using the *Toddy system because it produces a low acid beverage.

The Toddy low acid coffee system (inexpensive) was purchased locally at a World Market store, but is also on the internet at http://www.toddycafe.com. This isn't the only low acid system, but it's the one I use.

If you have ever had coffee at an expensive restaurant and wondered why it tasted so smooth (and had too many refills because it was sooo good), then it was produced by a low acid system. This process basically consists of coffee grounds that sit in cold water for 8 to 12 hours on the kitchen counter in a pitcher and then are drained through the special filter. The filtered coffee is placed in the fridge and lasts a long time.

When served, it must be diluted with more water because it's a concentrate.
You could also brew up some strong coffee, add regular milk and sugared flavoring from DaVinci Gourmet. Just depends on what you want to do. It's a lot less expensive than that daily Starbucks visit.

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with Toddy Coffee nor DaVinci Gourmet flavorings in any way except as a happy consumer.

By Holly

I found a low acid coffee system called Hourglass Coffee. It is extremely simple to use and has 69% less acid. Check it out at: Hourglasscoffee.com.

This product will revolutionize coffee making.