Teaching Children How to Treat Pets

Our 2 year old YorkiePoo has gotten so when we get ready to put her to bed she starts growling and baring her teeth. Also she has snapped at our grandkids, sometimes breaking the skin. We have 1 grandson that teases her. We can't get him to stop. He thinks it's funny until he gets nipped. Help! We've put her in the laundry room to keep her away, but my stinking grandson lets her out!

By Dottie from soutnwest IN

It sounds like both the dog and grandson need some training! I don't know what to suggest for the dog. But for the grandson, I think you need to have a serious talk with him and his parent/s. He's probably going to try to respond/defend himself by saying that the dog starts the misbehavior (the old, "he started it!" argument). So tell them that you're aware of what your dog is doing, and you're trying to deal with it. But your grandson is not a dog, and you expect better behavior from him. If he cannot control himself and choose to be better-behaved, he shouldn't come over. Particularly if you've tried to close your dog into a room, and then he intentionally lets her out. That behavior is not acceptable or welcomed. The parents need to understand and reinforce what you've said.

It might sound harsh telling your grandson that he cannot come over. But he needs to learn about appropriate behavior and following rules. I wish you the best of luck with this.

I would not stand for the grandson's behavior. After all it is your dog and your home and he needs to learn to respect that no matter what it is about. Now put the dog where he can't get him out and tell your grandson that he is not allowed to play with the dog and tell him why. Your grandson may never learn to treat animals with kindness but you can protect your own dog.

What do you mean when you say you are trying to put your Yorkiepoo to bed? Personally, I've never had to put an animal friend to bed and just let them go to bed on their own when they are ready to. Maybe your baby simply wants to be treated as an individual and not forced? As for the grandchild who teases? How about you tease him the exact same way he teases your Yorkiepoo and see how he likes it? I'll venture to bet he wouldn't like it and will learn some compassion and empathy with the roles reversed!

In the best interest of your dog, re-home it with a no children, then explain to yours the reason why.

Your grandson needs a paddling. I know that doesn't sound politicaly correct, but to tell the truth that is just what he needs. Poor dog.

A boy lying with his orange cat, Tigger.
Keeping Children Safe Around Pets
Pets Dogs Training AdviceDecember 10, 2010
Students in a Kindergarten Classroom
Teaching Kindergarten Students
A child putting coins in a donation bucket.
Teaching Kids About Holiday Giving
Teaching a Child to Be Thoughtful
Teaching a Child to Be Respectful
A boy making a mean face and sticking out his tongue.
Teaching Children Good Manners
🎉
🎄