Add Longer Sleeves To Summer Dresses

My Rabbi's pre-school daughter attends a non-religious school. For religious reasons, she must wear 3/4 or long sleeves and winter outfits are simply too warm to wear in the summer. To remedy the situation, I collect light weight long sleeved shirts from our local freecycle and re-use it.

I cut the sleeves off the shirts and match them in color and fabric to her summer dresses. It doesn't matter if the shirts are stained because I'm only using the sleeves. The "finished" hems on the sleeves keep the outfits from looking homemade. She especially loves it when I add colorful or striped sleeves to her outfits. This has turned into a big hit even with some of the Christian families who dress their daughters modestly.

By Solartea

This is a great idea! Since just having had skin cancer surgery, I'm trying to wear long sleeves all the time. Have saved a lot of money by finding nice long-sleeved blouses and shirts (don't hesitate to look in the men's and boys' sections too, gals!) at thrift shops and yard sales.

I am glad that there are still parents out there that care how their children dress. As a Christian, I have great concern on how children (and adults) dress today. Some of the clothes are so shameful and make we wonder what the parents are thnking! Many of the adults need to remember that they should set the example, but unfortunately they don't always do that.

Solartea, I sure wish I'd thought of this when we were attending an Apostolic church years ago! (I still attend, but it's a Pentecostal church now, with a less stringent dress code.) God bless you for sharing this great tip!

Consumer Advice Clothing TipsJune 7, 2010
Tightening T-shirt Sleeves
Men's Shirt
Shortening Men's Shirt Sleeves
Bride wearing her wedding dress.
Why Do We Keep Our Wedding Dresses?
A woman sewing using a sewing machine.
Sewing Sleeves