Using Grocery Coupons from the Internet

How many grocery stores accept coupons printed from the Internet? I'm seeing more and more tempting coupons on-line.

By Liz

My local WalMart supercenter takes coupons that are printed online. I don't know about the other grocery stores in town. I don't go to them because they are too expensive, plus being too far away to take a cab to.

You should talk with the grocery store manager and ask if they accept the on-line coupons.

Some of the dollar stores will not accept on-line coupons, I found out the hard way. I printed out some General Mills cereal coupons and drove to Dollar General since they had a sale on Cheerios. I went to pay for the cereal and was told that they wouldn't accept the coupons. Well, I didn't buy the cereal and wasted my ink.

The manager did tell me that if the coupons were from a local newspaper, they would accept them.

Most coupons you print off the internet are manufacturers coupons and will usually SAY they are so when you print them. As long as you go to a big name grocery store like Food City, Kroger, Ingle or Food Lion you should have little to no difficulty using the coupons you print out. It cost manufacturers big bucks to have coupons printed in local papers and many of them are switching to internet only coupons because of the cost savings. Smaller stores that don't accept printed coupons from the internet 50% of the time won't take coupons at all.

Either way, the cost of printing the coupon and saving some money is worth the time and effort even if the store you normally go to won't accept them. In that case don't throw the coupons away, give them to a neighbor, friend or church. They won't go to waste. Another option is Coupons for Troops for coupons you can't use. Just do a search here on ThriftyFun.

I have never had a problem with legitimate coupons printed off the net. Stores even Target accept them. I also google for online coupon codes whenever I buy something from an online store. They may be for free shipping or a % off, those usually work too.

I have use printed coupons at CVS, Walgreen, Target, Kmart, Safeway, Albertsons and WalMart. Walmart is the only store that gives me a hard time. I just ask them to call a manager and they take care of me.

Could you give some sites where you can get these coupons?

Here in Idaho I have used them without problems at Albertson's, Smith's and Walmart. So far the Associated Foods chain is also accepting them. I learn about the good ones from a web site I belong to, called There are other sites as well.

I've not had any trouble with them around here (Ohio) in the big chain grocery stores, though I haven't tried them at other places. Walmart actually states in their coupon policy that internet coupons are allowed and exactly what they need: "Internet coupons should be legible and say "Manufacturer Coupon." There should be a valid remit address for the manufacturer and a scannable bar code."

I actually carry a print-out of that page in my coupon holder just in case a clerk doesn't want to accept a coupon, but have never had to use it, which is kind of disappointing when you're all prepared, LOL.

If the coupons have a bar code and are printed through a "coupon printer" program so they have a customized expiration date and you're limited to only printing one or two, they seem to be as accepted as the clipped kind.

A bunch of coupons cut out of ads in the newspaper.
Using Coupons
Consumer Advice General AdviceMarch 19, 2010
Finding Free Coupons
Online Coupon Computer
Using Online Coupons
Trouble Printing Coupons
An upclose photo of a laptop keyboard.
Saving Money on Your Internet Bill