Decorating a Busy Kitchen

I need help with my kitchen. It is in a colonial style house and has 7 doors off it to various rooms. These doors all have white raised panel doors with white molding around them. Floors are a red oak hardwood, cabinets are the same red oak and appliances are black. The counter top is a robin's egg blue which is going to be replaced with either hardwood or a solid surface.

I have very little actual wall space to paint. There are also 3 windows, one above the kitchen sink and two in the breakfast nook on either side of the back door. My problem is that my kitchen seems so very busy with all the door openings and moldings. There is a lot to look at and many lines that break up the view.

I was thinking of painting what little wall space there is with a paint that matches the cabinetry as closely as possible, or one that is slightly off from the cabinet color in order to provide more visual unity. Then the black appliances and the white moldings and doors will provide the contrast rather than the walls. Problem is that I've never seen this done and wanted to get some ideas. I am really unhappy with this kitchen and wish I had the money to do a complete remodel but that isn't likely. Any ideas would be helpful! Thanks.

Deb from Rochester, NY

You are right about minimizing contrast. Make that new countertop one color!

Paint or refinish the doors to match the walls so they blend in with every thing else. I painted the raised panels on one of my doors with black chalk board paint. It will blend in with the appliances and can be used for a grocery list or other notes. When the grandkids come over, they love to write on the chalk board more than play with their video games. When they leave, just wash off their creations and you are back to plain blend in doors.

Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating KitchenOctober 22, 2008
A picture of the Eiffel Tower.
Decorating a Room With a Paris Theme
Fall decoration with pumpkins, gourds, and Indian corn.
Decorating with Pumpkins
Large Kitchen Fire
Preventing Kitchen Fires
Feng Shui Decorating, Feng Shui Decorating
Feng Shui Decorating