Make Catnip Toys From Socks

Our cats shred the store bought toys we have given them. So we decided to try out making a thriftier version. I use the old mismatched socks we end up with on the folding table. I put approximately 1/4 cup of dried catnip into an old sock and then knot the top (nylon socks work best). This provides hours of fun out of something that would have ended up being a dust cloth. And when they shred it? Oh well! It was practically free.

By Angi from Spokane, WA

Also catnip is extremely easy to grow and dry. Now I don't even spend money buying it.

I use my mismatched socks for the cats too, but in a different way. For some reason my cat "Tabby", in the middle of the night, will sharpen her nails on my 1 yr. old dresser. I fold up the mismatched socks inside themselves and when I hear her, I lob one at her. I rarely hit her so it doesn't hurt her, but it makes me feel better. I call them Tabby bombs. >**<

TC in MO

Once the catnip is dried it no longer has the oils in it that cats love so I grow a lot of it, I call it cat beer lol.

My cats can shred a sock in a heartbeat {any kind, including those giant heavy wool ones} so I cut the back pockets out of old jeans {cut through the pants completely when doing this} and put the fresh catnip in them and then hand sew them closed with large stitches so I can reopen and refresh the catnip inside easily.

These have survived for years with the cats dragging them around and sleeping on them. When they get dirty just remove stitches, empty and throw in the washer.

I forgot to add that I use pinking shears to cut the pockets out so the jeans won't shred around the edges.

kitten playing
Homemade Cat Toys
Pets Cats Cat ToysJune 16, 2008
Making a Sock Quilt
A picture of a pair of socks.
Organizing Socks
A cat eating catnip.
Growing and Using Catnip (and Cat Grass)
A kitten with a ball of yarn.
Saving Money on Cat Toys