Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Cornstarch Window Cleaner

I am looking for a recipe for window cleaner. It was made with cornstarch and alcohol, and I am not sure what else. It really worked.

By Jilly from WI

Here are the recent answer to this question.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Cornstarch Window Cleaner

For cleaner windows the inexpensive way use 1/2 cup cornstarch to a quart of warm water. Stir well and put in a spray bottle and your windows will come out crystal clear.

By Georgia

RE: Cornstarch Window Cleaner

tried everything to eliminate hard water spots off outside;vinegar;newspapers;window cleaners,etc...Help !!!!! Nothing works!! (02/17/2006)

By Bill

RE: Cornstarch Window Cleaner

Bill --

Try rubbing alcohol! It should cut right though the hard water spots .. Then use regular cheap shaving cream, not the gel, to prevent the spots from reappearing! Works great on shower doors.

Good Luck! Rebekah (02/17/2006)

By Madelynnsmama

Archive: Cornstarch Window Cleaner

I have always had trouble with cleaning windows. I always get streaks. I saw in an old book to use a handful of cornstarch in a bucket of lukewarm water. I add also a little vinegar about 1/4 - 1/2 depending on the size of the bucket. Mix. Use a wash cloth to wash window, then I use a hand towel to dry the window and a final towel to get it all dry. I have 18 windows in my house and 3 entry doors. I can wash them all on the outside with 1 bucket of water, 1 wash cloth and 3 - 4 hand towels (when the final towel gets too wet I replace it with another). Then I get a fresh bucket and do the inside. If your towels are limited, you can dry them on the close line and do the inside/outside the next day.

By Beth from Bloomfield, IN

RE: Cornstarch Window Cleaner

When my new windows were installed the glass company included a spray can of glass cleaner. I accidentally used my spray starch, thinking I had the cleaner. The windows sparkled. At my age it's called "sometimers." (08/20/2008)

By siris

RE: Cornstarch Window Cleaner

This is a great tip. I'm gonna have to give it a try. Thanks for sharing. I couldn't help but notice that you are from Bloomfield, Indiana - me too! (08/26/2008)

By Lori

RE: Cornstarch Window Cleaner

White vinegar rubbed on then wipe off with crumpled up balls of newspaper, old fashioned but works fab. (09/10/2008)

By meggymolly

Archive: Cornstarch Window Cleaner

Best window cleaner ever. Take 1/2 cup of cornstarch and mix with a gallon of water. Mix very good, then you can either pour some in spray bottle or you can pour some in a container. Then start cleaning. Really good stuff. If you have really dirty windows you might need to do a couple of times. Good tip for going green, also.

Source: Who Knew Book

By Tina from WV

RE: Cornstarch Window Cleaner

When my new windows were put in, the glazier gave me a complimentary spray can of window cleaner. After giving all my windows the "once over" on the outside, I realized I'd used spray starch by mistake. They looked so fine I never re-did them. (07/09/2009)

By siris