Training a German Shepherd/Husky Mix

Here is my German Shepherd/Husky mix. He is 3 months old now, and it appears the bottom half of his ears have gone up, but not the rest. I know some mixes have the ears already up due to more Husky in them, but this little guy is pretty much half-and half.

I am wondering, is there anyone here (Shepherd or mix) that has a picture of the ears halfway up? I want to know that I am just not blindly hoping it is them trying to rise.

Also, we are not bringing our pup to training. Some things he picks up quickly, but he just will NOT learn to 'stay' and 'lay down'. We do it over and over, with treats, and show him how, but he is so treat-crazy he does for that instead of listening. Any tips?

Thanks!

schubunny from New Brunswick, Canada

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Love your beautiful boy for who he is irrespective of how his ears are. Remember he is crossed with a "northern breed" dog and will not always answer to commands. That's the way they are. Good luck.

My German shepherd siberian husky mix ears still aren't up and she is 4 months old. She listens good but only problem wih her is she tends to wander when not on a leash and runs to the neighbours house smelling everything and doesn't come when she is called because of distractions.

This is my little girl, Xena she is about 2 and a half months old. I am trying to train her but she seems a little stubborn to some things.

This is Conley, the love of my life. Lol he is 1 year old now and I was not able to train he well until he was 6 mos old. He was to stubborn and hyper. Then it was like all at once he caught on and is now the best behaved and well trained dog all around. He travels to senior citizens homes with me and helps with dog therapy. His ears has always stood up but I believe some do stand up later. Just give your baby time, you will be glad you did.

I have a 7 month old German shepard x husky. His name is Benji. He is massive for his age. I've had him 2 weeks. I love him to bits already but in the short time I've had him he has already embarrassed me more than anything. He has done his business in a pet shop and got out of his collar and ran in to a restaurant and even went in the kitchen (all the customers were laughing too while trying to save their food!)

He is the naughtiest dog I've ever had and I've had 2 german shepards. He's on the best food ever has regular 2 hour walks and still doesn't listen at all! Someone please help.

As far as training goes, it's easy peasy with any dog, as long as you find the treats that motivates him! I had a dog once who'd do anything for dried apricots! It might take time to find out, but once you do, you will see your pup all but backflip for you!

As far as the ears go, don't get your hopes up. His ears might stand up or might very well stay half floppy! With mixed breed dogs, you never know what you're getting because it's never set!

I just recently adopted out 2 year old German shepherd husky mix from the haven in nc! We don't know much of his past but he was a rescue from a bad home! At first he was shy and sweet but now he has come around a little bit! The only problem I'm having with him is he has no energy and he is too shy! We don't know if it was from his old home but hopefully we can break him an bring some life out of him!

His name is Daken!

October 4, 2010 Flag

***

***

Here is my German Shepherd/Husky mix. He is 3 months old now, and it appears the bottom half of his ears have gone up, but not the rest. I know some mixes have the ears already up due to more Husky in them, but this little guy is pretty much half and half.

Also, we are not bringing our pup to training. Some things he picks up quickly, but he just will NOT learn to 'stay' and 'lay down.' We do it over and over, with treats, and show him how, but he is so treat-crazy he does for that instead of listening. Any tips?

Thanks!

schubunny from New Brunswick, Canada

Answers:

Ears Standing Up and Training a German Shepherd/Husky Mix

I think your dog got the Shepherd "floppy ears" gene! They look just like those of a Chow-Shepherd we had for many years. We now have a Husky-Shepherd mix whose ears stand up, but her body and tail look more like a Shepherd's. Just love him like he is 'cause it's hard to change genetics. (01/21/2008)

By NancyP

It took a long time for our Shepard's ears to stand up. For awhile she had one up and one down. It seems to me she was at least 8 months old before they stood up. We just had the one Shepard pup, so I am not an expert. (01/21/2008)

By louel53

He's so cute, I wouldn't care if his ears stood up or remained floppy! (01/22/2008)

By Beth

If you will feed him cottage cheese every day, it will help strengthen the cartilage in his ears and they will one day stand straight up. We have a female Shepard with papers and we were afraid hers would never stand up. Someone gave us the tip and it worked beautifully. (01/24/2008)

By bwonna

Hi. I think my pup is a shep/husky as well. The picture was taken when he was 8 weeks old. He is now 11 weeks and both his ears are fully up. They look too big for his head, so I think they are more shepherd ears. (01/25/2008)

By R Hamilton

RE: Ears Standing Up and Training a German Shepherd/Husky Mix

Ears Standing Up and Training a German Shepherd/Husky Mi

My puppy is a husky/German Shepard mix and his ears aren't up fully either, but from all the advice I've read it's all the same; rub the ears and give your puppy time because most of the time they are a couple of months before they rise on their own. So I'm waiting patiently, and if they don't rise maybe it wasn't meant for them to. Hope that also helps! (02/01/2008)

By y_alfred

My 14 week old German shepherd/husky has had her ears up since the day I got her when she was 8 weeks old. :) I think your dog's will probably both go up soon, too! (04/16/2008)

By brittany

RE: Ears Standing Up and Training a German Shepherd/Husky Mi

Training a German Shepherd/Husky Mix

Tell him to sit, repeat the command "stay" many times. Put a treat about 6 meters in front of your dog, and say "stay." If he tries to get it, be prepared to pull him back, work best on leash. If he goes to get the treat, YANK back the leash and put him into a sitting position and keep doing this until he stays. As you say the "GO GET IT" command, give him a push towards the treat. This should work. (05/04/2008)

By LD

Training a German Shepherd/Husky Mix

Hi! Wow, your pup is gorgeous! Well, I'll tell you something that is totally, 100% effective. If you go to www.cesarmillaninc.com or watch the Dog Whisperer, and apply his techniques with him, it will be the best thing you ever did! It takes a lot of work (still working on it everyday with my dog!) but it's so worth it. Try it once or twice. It makes SUCH a difference. (05/13/2008)

By Elizabeth

Training a German Shepherd/Husky Mix

I have a shepherd/husky mix also and her ears are already up. She's about 3 to 4 months old. Her ears hung down for the longest time, until about a couple weeks ago they started to rise and one stands up while the other is still a little bent over at the top. It takes time and also depends on how much of each breed is in them. If she is only shepherd and husky mix they will most likely rise all the way up, because I also have a full blooded shepherd and his ears are all the way up so they should rise up pretty soon. (05/19/2008)

By TINY

Training a German Shepherd/Husky Mix

I love all these dogs, very cute pics. :) (07/20/2008)

By schubunny

Training a German Shepherd/Husky Mix

Here is my Baby German shepherd/husky, Coco. She is 5-6 weeks old. Completely adorable and already learning very quickly! (08/21/2008)

By veronika

RE: Training a German Shepherd/Husky Mix

Training a German Shepherd/Husky Mix

This is our 9 week old husky/shepherd mix. Her ears only stand up when she's laying down, but we hope that they'll end up being straight when she's older. (09/22/2008)

By becky

Training a German Shepherd/Husky Mix

This is our German Shepard/Husky/Black Lab mix. He's 10 weeks old. He has really floppy ears but we love them and think they are sooo cute! We kind of hope they don't go up, I don't think they will though. I think it's the lab in him.

We have already trained him to "lay down." We did it by taking a treat, letting him smell it, then covering it with your hand and putting it in between his front paws and saying "down." If he tries to scoot back to get at it, keep moving it back to stay in between his paws, and don't uncover it until he has laid down. It only took a day!

I have also heard really good things about the Dog Whisperer that other people have posted about. Good luck, and don't stress about the ears, floppy ears are cute! :) (09/29/2008)

By kris101

Training a German Shepherd/Husky Mix

We have a German shepherd, husky, lab, wolf mix. Koda is 1 year and 6 months old. We got him when he was 1 year and 2 and a half months old. Koda means friend in the Dakota and Sioux language. Which we thought it was appropriate for him, because he's so friendly with mostly everyone. He doesn't like people that drink or do drugs. He barks and growls at them, especially when they go past our apt., to the last 3 apts. where they do this. He also lets me know when someone else is at the door, by barking until I say it's okay, it's just the neighbors, or shhh, when I need to put his leash on him, when I answer the door. After I open the door, and I tell him, it's a friend, then he lets them in, other wise he won't let them in the door.

About ears being up or down, with our pup, his are always down. But we love him regardless. He has beautiful gorgeous coloring too. We have so many people say they want this pup, but we said no. We are going to keep him. He is very intelligent too. For most things he is very easy to train, for others it takes a little more time for him to learn the rules, but he's getting there. (10/31/2008)

By Shaynee

Training a German Shepherd/Husky Mix

I have a 13 1/2 year-old shepherd/husky and although I can't find the pics right now. When she was a pup it was so cute because one of her ears would stand up and one would fold over. However, when she got to be about 7 months both ears went up. I love these dogs. Just got a 6 week shep/husky last week. Her name is Morgan. 13 1/2 year old is Jordan. (11/06/2008)

By Rick

Training a German Shepherd/Husky Mix

I have a female husky/shepherd with her ears half up as well. You are NOT alone. Personally I kinda like it and in my case it fits her personality very well. She is very hyper and LOVES to take long hikes with the family. She was an addition to our first Male dog who is a Beagle. They get along great and have turned out to be the best pets we could have asked for. (11/14/2008)

By Aimee from CT

Training a German Shepherd/Husky Mix

This is my Husky/German Shepherd mix. He looks much different than yours color wise, but he has the same ears. People actually think he's part lab because of his ears and it's quite annoying, lol. He is tan, with white husky face marks, the curled tail of a husky (when he's excited) but it lays down like a Shepherd when he's calm, and the black saddle on his back like a GSD.

I thought they would stick up too since both breeds have that feature. But he puts them half way up when he is on alert but they lay back (not in a mean way) when he is sleeping or calm. Oh, and my dog is 3 and they haven't stood up yet. Your pup will probably get pretty big too. Mine is a little bigger than most husky/shepherd mixes but yours will come close. My boy Sage is 90lbs. and is as tall as me when he stands up on his back legs. Apparently, according to his previous owner they did when he was a puppy but then one day they didn't anymore. Who knows?

As for the training, I agree with the person who mentioned Ceasar Milan. Your body language says more than any words will ever mean to a dog. Words don't make you a pack leader, your body language and the confidence you have makes you a pack leader. My dog doesn't dare to disobey me because I make it clear that I am in control (without force of course).

When you are using treats to get what you want you need one in each hand. One to help direct them for what you want them to do (but never give them that one), and one in your other hand behind your back to give them when they do the trick.

I would also recommend using a clicker. Once they do the trick you use the clicker and immediately hand them the treat. Eventually he should do it without treats. Don't give up, he's still young. :) Good luck! (12/14/2008)

By Alexis

Training a German Shepherd/Husky Mix

My shepherd/husky mix will not stay or lay down for me but will lay down for others. He is not catching on to house training very well at all. He does pick up on my body language very well. He is 18 weeks old. He chews up everything when I'm not home but doesn't touch a thing when I'm around. How do I get him to stop chewing things up and to listen to me? (01/09/2009)

By Sam

Training a German Shepherd/Husky Mix

Here are some pictures of Crash, my GSD/Husky mix. The one with his ears down are at 3 months old, he is now two weeks older and they have just gone up. (01/21/2009)

By Carrie

Training a German Shepherd/Husky Mix

I just rescued a GS and it's 2 years old and the ears are halfway up. I think they are going to stay like that. (02/16/2009)

By Andrew M.

German Shepherd
German Shepherd - Breed Information and Photos
Caesar (Siberian Husky and German Shepherd Mix)
Siberian Husky - German Shepherd Mix Info and Photos
German Shepherd Mix
German Shepherd Mix Breed Information and Photos
Skinny German Shepherd Laying Down
Skinny German Shepherd
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 19, 2016 at 2:01:08 PM on 10.0.1.59 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.