Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Training a German Shepherd/Husky Mix

Pin It

Here is my German Shepherd/Husky mix. He is 3 months old now, and it appears the bottom half of his ears have gone up, but not the rest. I know some mixes have the ears already up due to more Husky in them, but this little guy is pretty much half-and half.

I am wondering, is there anyone here (Shepherd or mix) that has a picture of the ears halfway up? I want to know that I am just not blindly hoping it is them trying to rise.

Also, we are not bringing our pup to training. Some things he picks up quickly, but he just will NOT learn to 'stay' and 'lay down'. We do it over and over, with treats, and show him how, but he is so treat-crazy he does for that instead of listening. Any tips?

Thanks!

schubunny from New Brunswick, Canada

By

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By kris_laney_c12/04/2013

I just recently adopted out 2 year old German shepherd husky mix from the haven in nc! We don't know much of his past but he was a rescue from a bad home! At first he was shy and sweet but now he has come around a little bit! The only problem I'm having with him is he has no energy and he is too shy! We don't know if it was from his old home but hopefully we can break him an bring some life out of him!

His name is Daken!

RE: Training a German Shepherd/Husky Mix

By Lida R.11/10/2013

As far as training goes, it's easy peasy with any dog, as long as you find the treats that motivates him! I had a dog once who'd do anything for dried apricots! It might take time to find out, but once you do, you will see your pup all but backflip for you!
As far as the ears go, don't get your hopes up. His ears might stand up or might very well stay half floppy! With mixed breed dogs, you never know what you're getting because it's never set!

By Gemma Alsop09/09/2013

I have a 7 month old German shepard x husky. His name is Benji. He is massive for his age. I've had him 2 weeks. I love him to bits already but in the short time I've had him he has already embarrassed me more than anything. He has done his business in a pet shop and got out of his collar and ran in to a restaurant and even went in the kitchen (all the customers were laughing too while trying to save their food!)

He is the naughtiest dog I've ever had and I've had 2 german shepards. He's on the best food ever has regular 2 hour walks and still doesn't listen at all! Someone please help.

By Carrie Aldridge S.09/06/2013

This is Conley, the love of my life. Lol he is 1 year old now and I was not able to train he well until he was 6 mos old. He was to stubborn and hyper. Then it was like all at once he caught on and is now the best behaved and well trained dog all around. He travels to senior citizens homes with me and helps with dog therapy. His ears has always stood up but I believe some do stand up later. Just give your baby time, you will be glad you did.

By Kyler A.07/24/2013

This is my little girl, Xena she is about 2 and a half months old. I am trying to train her but she seems a little stubborn to some things.

By matsum1406/09/2013

My German shepherd siberian husky mix ears still aren't up and she is 4 months old. She listens good but only problem wih her is she tends to wander when not on a leash and runs to the neighbours house smelling everything and doesn't come when she is called because of distractions.

By NEWFIEGIRL [8]07/28/2011

Love your beautiful boy for who he is irrespective of how his ears are. Remember he is crossed with a "northern breed" dog and will not always answer to commands. That's the way they are. Good luck.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Training a German Shepherd/Husky Mix

Here is my German Shepherd/Husky mix. He is 3 months old now, and it appears the bottom half of his ears have gone up, but not the rest. I am wondering, is there anyone here (Shepherd or mix) that has a picture of the ears halfway up?