Why Does New Sink Look Black When Wiped Down?

Why is my sink always black when I wipe it with a paper towel? It is a new sink put in by a contractor. Is it stainless steel?

By Frieda

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

I have had stainless steel sinks in every house that I have lived in during my adult life, and I am 71 years old. I have never had them appear to be black, no moatter what I wipe it with.

I have a stainless steel sink with stainless appliances and I hate them. However, when I clean the stainless steel with a stainless steel cleaner my cleaning cloths will be black when done. Stainless will be a silver color.

I've had stainless steel sinks almost my entire life too and have never seen such a thing happen! It's probably best to ask the contractor who installed it what the problem could possibly be, whether it's truly a genuine stainless steel sink and who the manufacturer of the sink is.

We have a vacation cabin in WV that has well water. There is something in the water that makes the stainless steel sink (and my fingernails!) black. I know the water has iron in it but it may also have sulfur, etc. (We do not drink this water) You might try getting your water tested to see if that is the problem.

Home and Garden Cleaning KitchenApril 23, 2011
Removing rust stains from a sink.
Removing Rust Stains from a Sink
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Black Widow Spider Costume
underside of Black Widow Spider
Getting Rid of Black Widow Spiders
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 16, 2017 at 1:04:45 PM on 10.0.2.254 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.