Buying a GPS

What is the best brand of GPS at a reasonable price? Any information would be helpful. I need one in order to get my husband to a new doctor in a city I am not familiar with. Thanks for your help.

By Danialle from Polson, MT

We use a Tom Tom Brand. It is fairly accurate. Only directed us to a spot that was 10 miles away once. Other times was pretty good.

We have a Garmin Nuvi, and we like it. When we were looking at them, we spoke to the salesperson and he explained the differences. At the time (maybe 4 or 5 years ago), not all of them spoke the instructions. I liked that feature. I also looked at the screens, and we got one with a larger screen (at least, it was 'larger' back then!). So when you go, touch and listen to them. Think about how it's going to look in your car. Use it in the store to enter an address and see how easy it is to get directions. How easy is it to change the volume, or to zoom in/out? These things might help you decide. The salesman at Best Buy was very helpful (I think he even told us which brand had the most returns, but it's been a long time and I don't remember -- it wasn't Garmin).

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/tires-auto-parts/gps/index.htm

Here is a link for a GPS buying advice video at Consumer Reports. To see the buying guide (with ratings and comparisons), you'll need to have a subscription. But if you don't, I hope the video will help you. Best of luck -- I hope your new GPS is very helpful to you. We named ours "Betty." Since she talks to us, it seemed she needed a name so we can talk back. :-)

When doing your research, check to see what it takes to have the battery changed or replaced. Some will charge you as much as $80 to replace a battery! I presently have the one from the Mio that has the voice of the guy from the old Knight Rider series. It is not very accurate, at least not when I have gotten into isolated areas. It had problems in Sioux Falls SD when I was trying to find a hotel. Kept telling me the hotel was on my left when it was really on my right. After 18 months, the battery would no longer hold a charge and when I contacted them, they wanted $80 bucks to replace the battery! Needless to say I did not take them up on it. So when I need to use it, I just plug into the lighter socket of the car. When it finally gets replaced, it definitely will not be the same brand.

Here is a link you might find of interest. It's be a group that reports about a game called 'geo-caching' where you use your GPS to find stuff and of course, leave something behind.

<http://geocaching.com/reviews/gps>

It may not be cost effective if you just need it infrequently.

Have you tried searching for maps to the doctors and printing?

We have the Onstar on my truck, but I always 'google' directions first, and print them out, along with the map, to help, as sometimes I have found that even the Onstar and online maps can be wrong.

If you are only going to use it very occasionally, then why not print off a route map from the internet and use this? far cheaper in the long run! You can start at home and pop the end destination in and voila! all you need, step by step instructions are there. Hope this helps.

One thing to remember is that you will need to update the data base in your GPS every year. With ours it gives us a choice to do it years or for a lifetime, of course, for a fee.

I have read on Kim Komando.com that the Garmin nuvi 265 is best.

I'd like to thank everyone who sent information. I did look at the google map but it wasn't the best. It didn't show some of the streets that I know I will need to be on, but then maybe the GPS wouldn't have them either. Thanks again everyone.

Consumer Advice Product FinderAugust 13, 2010
comtemperary wedding ring
Buying a Wedding Ring
Buying an eBook Reader, Someone using an eBook reader.
Buying an eBook Reader
GPS Mount for Your Car
Making a GPS Mount for Your Car
Man Holding GPS
Using a Garmin GPS
🎄
🍂