TipsFrugal Living

Using Inexpensive Cleaning Products to Save Money

You can use a few basics for cleaning. White Vinegar is a good streak free cleaner. I use it for a LOT. If you use it full strength for a really dirty job, test the surface in a small area first. Vinegar is basically an acid. Ammonia can be used the same way but you only need to add a small amount to water for it to be effective. Ammonia is fairly cheap too.

A lot of types of cooking oil can be used on wood. Use it sparingly with a soft cloth or you'll have an oily mess. I like Murphy's Oil soap. I buy it where it is on sale or a generic version is available. Be careful not to use it on slippery surfaces like certain floors. I would never use anything with an oily feel or on a shower or tub, dangerous.

Baking soda does all kinds of stuff and has some scrubbing power. Generic cleansers work great for sinks, tubs, etc. They are sometimes cheaper than baking soda. Remember most cleansers contain bleach so be careful. Also, one very important thing to remember is DO NOT MIX any of these cleaning chemicals together. Ammonia and bleach even used in the same room can be dangerous, especially without proper ventilation.

I use a cheap brand of detergent or one that is on sale. Any whites can be washed with added bleach in cold water to save money too. For Really dirty stuff where bleach can not be used I add one of the generic Oxy products or alternative bleaches.

Last of all, you can always find good deals at any dollar store. To save gas I try and go to any store that is "on the way" somewhere. Stock up when the savings is good if can. Just make sure it will be used with in a reasonable amount of time or it is not worth it.

By Domestictech from Southeast Coastal Florida

I wholeheartedly agree with you. White vinegar, baking soda, ammonia and bleach are the cornerstone of inexpensive cleaning products (as long as you use bleach on its own). I would also add Dawn dishwashing liquid and Borax to the list. I made the switch over to inexpensive cleaning products last year and I have saved over $200.

An added benefit with the vinegar and baking soda is that I can use it on my body. Vinegar is a great hair conditioner and baking soda exfoliates my skin. Combined, they make a nice foot bath.