Charities To Help With Christmas

I have noticed many readers asking for monetary help with Christmas. Please don't think I'm being insensitive. 20 Years ago, I was that person too. There are several agencies that can help you. Please check with your local Salvation Army agency, they put on a toy program that you can sign up for. You get to choose some new and some gently used items along with clothing items too. Check with your local churches and food pantries. Public aid offices may be able to give you some guidance on programs. Our schools also know which families are have a bit more need than others. Food share programs and angel ministries can assist you with groceries. The local township supervisor or mayor can also help. I wish you all the best.

By Sara from Illinois

Editor's Note: Please DO NOT post requests for help in the feedback. ThriftyFun doesn't have resources to help the overwhelming need and the people who can help will never see the post.

I cant say enough good things about SHARE. It is for everyone regardless of their income. The food is good, generous and nutritious. You pay for it, but get far more than you would in the grocery store for that amount of money especially around holiday time. IN my area a college administrator, a college professor, and a church secretary all partake in the benefits of this program. I heartily recommend it.

I did a Google search under SHARE food program for my state.

warm regards,

Carol in PA

I DON'T THINK SARA MEANS TO BE INSENITIVE TO ANYONE AND EVERYONE REALIZES THAT NO 2 STORIES ARE EVER THE SAME BUT ONE DOESN'T NEED TO TAKE THIS POST PERSONAL EITHER.SHE WAS JUST TRYING TO HELP.IF YOU HAVE OLDER CHILDREN THEN YOU MIGHT TAKE HER ADVISE AND CHECK WITH LOCAL CHURCHES AND THE TOWNSHIP SUPERVISOR.

I JUST RECENTLY CAME ACROSS A GREAT SITE

WWW.FREECYCLE.ORG PEOPLE GIVE AWAY STUFF OR YOU CAN ASK FOR A SPECIFIC ITEM

I agree that share is a generous deal.

The food is better than I could afford otherwise. The food is very fresh and of top quality.

IM A SINGLE MOTHER OF A SON WHOS 8 YEARS OLD AND MONEY IS SO TIGHT RIGHT NOW THAT I DONT HAVE THE MEANS TO GET HIM A CHRISTMAS GIFT, CAN I GET SOME LISTINGS OF CHARITIES IN THE ANAHEIM/SANTA ANA CALIFORNIA AREAS THAT MIGHT BE ABLE TO ASSIST ME?

None of the charities can help anymore people I was with out electricity for 2 weeks and went to over 50 places and was turned away.

I was wondering if mystery4life is helping out with Christmas this year? If not does anyone know of any help for Christmas?

I would like to give feedback to those who keep saying "go to the salvation army" or to the "red cross". Unless you are in this position and know what is going on, then you need to know that a lot of these agencies don't have the program due to lack of donations. The demand is EXTREMELY higher than usual.

For all people who are saying call the Salvation Army, Good Luck cause I can't even get in touch with them nor or they accepting people who need help with gifts for their kids unless your homeless or fostering kids and Angle Tree is mainly for kids who's parents are in prison. All churches I call either will not call back or is stopped accepting applications here in Georgia. Now What?

I agree with the posters on share/angel ministries. I know that ours will do a Christmas dinner package for $25 that includes a turkey, a pie, vegetables, etc. Food stamps/SNAP are accepted at share/Angel ministries. So it doesn't hurt to check out the share/angel ministries site.

For those who can't get help with gifts and decorations, Go to thrift shops, dollar stores for items and always look at thrifty fun for good money saving gift ideas. Craigs list also has a free section on their site.

You could also try your local fire dept. they always have things for kids big and small for Christmas in every area. All the larger churches and a lot of the small ones will take on the task for you if you'll just ask. Don't be afraid to ask, just call and ask what they can do to help and tell them of your situation. Caring usually starts with the needy person telling someone who cares.

October 27, 2011 Flag

I am a single mom with a 13 year old son. I lost the extra income that I had coming in. Where can I find help to be able to give my son a Christmas this year?

By Kisha

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Most of the places that provide Christmas help have a cut off limit of age 12, for kids gifts. At age 13, your son is old enough to understand the bare facts of economics, if you explain to him that you can't afford to get him much for Christmas this year. Doesn't he have grandparents and aunts and uncles that give him gifts?

None of my family or my in-laws were well-to-do, but they always gave each grandchild a gift, it was usually clothing because when kids reach 12-13 years of age, that is what they can expect, and none of my relatives are into spending on designer clothes. You could also look in thrift stores and see what you could find in the line of things he likes and wants. Sometimes you can find things that are like new and sometimes even things that are new. Call 211, it is a National Helpline organization that keeps a list of all organizations in your area that people might need help from. There is also the Salvation Army. Also call your pastor and ask if there is any way the church could help. Sometimes they will take up a special offering to help people.

The other post said some of what I would suggest like calling 211 or if you don't have a church call a larger one with a youth group, ask for the youth Pastor. I so understand you'll never know; yes 13 is old enough to understand,it also is the time where we can loose our kids to peer pressure like no other time in their lives. If you have family Praise God, I didn't have a single person, I have not been close to my family in decades. Yes I have them, but seeing them. Spending time together, it just never seems to happen. My son was adopted, they really don't know each other due to distance, lifestyles etc. so I understand. It seems if you had family there wouldn't be this worry(?)

I have gotten my son brand new tennis shoes(name brand)at AmVets,designer jeans at Ross; I home schooled him still I didn't want him to live like I grew up so never was there anything for me it was all for him. Call Big Brothers in your area, they understand and may have options that weren't here where I live. Twelve yrs. is the cut off to most every place that does Christmas Charities don't let that stop you. If there is anything you aren't doing like recycling cans,have anything you can sell (jewelry,clothes) maybe get a job cleaning houses for awhile anything to bring in extra income. Christmas is important!

I tell you this with tears thinking back at what I didn't do, no tree. We got money, one year I had to ask if they could put it towards the rent. My son seemed to understand until he left home at 19, now I know what he really felt. I should have found another way, made sure he had Christmas. I did the best I could, never knew the resentment he felt. Your son may be very different, at the time I didn't understand how he felt, he didn't want to hurt me. Now I haven't spoke to him in over a year, because of being poor, me being disabled he wants nothing to do with any of it (so much anger from what I couldn't give him, family being one of those things, Christmas also was mentioned).

From the bottom of my heart I will pray for your situation, 13 is still a boy he just wants to be like everyone else, so whatever it takes go do it. Finding a cleaning job, or even volunteering somewhere in exchange for something special. The bigger churches with youth groups will certainly be more understanding if its the case where you don't have family to help you, do not be afraid to call, ask, or go in and get counsel. If you don't have a church, I would recommend you get your son involved being around other good kids is very important at this age. Even if he doesn't want or like it you are the parent, it's our jobs to make the decisions that will help him as he gets older.

Good luck,there is a way and yes it is important.I will pray for you and I hope you have a very Merry Christmas this year and all of those that follow.

Do you have family that can assist you and did you save a small amount during the year? Even if you are not working you would receive goverment payment for yourself and son.

Hi, Kisha. I agree with the other posters that there are probably numerous organizations in your community that will help you not only with toys and gifts but probably with food and other items too.

Also, check places like Freecycle and Craigslist for free items. However, years from now, he will probably not remember the gifts he got. He will remember that he was with you on Christmas and that you love him. That is the best gift you can give to a child. Good luck and god bless you and your son.

Contact your local Salvation Army. Here they have Angel Tree program.

October 21, 2011 Flag

I need help badly for Christmas this year. Ccan anyone help me please? God bless you.

By Cathy

The Salvation Army usually provides some help. They do it different ways, different years. Call them and ask. There is Toys For Tots, however, they aren't all over. A lot of the places that help have combined forces and you have to apply in one location. Call 211, it is the number for an organization called Helpline. It is almost all across the nation.

What they do is keep a list of different places people can go for different kinds of help. Keep in mind when it comes to gifts most organizations don't help kids beyond 12 years of age, some even younger. The way I avoid needing help for Christmas is I start my shopping in January. I have been done for at least one month. I spend $20.00 on each of my adult kids and grand kids that range in age from 15-25. I also spend that on one really close aunt and cousin.

Also if I come across a $20.00 item that is on sale for $10-15.00, that counts as $20.00. You can also start stockpiling Christmas groceries early in the year. Also for gifts, your kids should understand times are hard, and be satisfied with gifts from dollar stores, and even sometimes you can find new or things that look like new at thrift stores. Next year start your shopping in January. No matter how young your kids are they should realize some areas of the home are off limits.

Check your local newspapers and news channel websites. And if you have children, a lot of schools have a program if you check into it. Toys that people donate to students that don't have a whole lot, and whose families are struggling with the holidays.

There are a lot of programs that can help you. You could also organize your own sales to get money. There are always bake sales and if you check in the local news paper, there are always places where you could get a table very cheap and sell things for profit.

Good luck and have a great Christmas

November 30, 2011 Flag

I am looking for help for Christmas for my 7 1/2 year old son?

By Wilma

You have probably passed the deadline for help from charities in your area. I know where I live the deadline has passed for all of them. These organizations have to know ahead of time so they know how to budget for every body that needs help. Doesn't your son's Dad send a gift to your son. Also there must be grandparents, aunts and uncles that will send gifts. You should be able to afford to buy one $5.00-10.00 item for your son. All any kid needs is one gift from their parents. Also speak to the pastor of your church, sometimes they will take up a special offering for a needy family in the congregation.

November 25, 2011 Flag

Where can I get help with Christmas for my kids this year?

By Tabitha

Call 211, it is a national clearing house that keeps a list of different orgazations that can help people with different things. The name of the organization is HELPLINE? Most of the charities that help with things like this have a cut off age level of 12 years. Speak to the pastor of your church, sometimes they will take up a special offering for a member of the congregation that needs help.

November 21, 2011 Flag

I was wondering how or where to get help for my family's Christmas presents this year?

By Sommer H.

No matter where you apply you will have to fill out an application and list your gross income. Most of the charities have a cut off age limit of 12 years for gifts. HELPLINE! is a national clearinghouse that keeps a list of organizations that help people in given areas. Also the Salvation Army does help people. Kids only need one present each, from their parents. Also don't the kids have grandparents and aunts and uncles that will be sending them gifts?

Speak to the pastor of your church, sometimes they will take up a special anonymous offering for a member of the congregation that has come upon hard times.

October 27, 2011 Flag

I need help this Christmas. Where can I find assistance?

By Samantha

Call 211, it is a nation wide clearing house that has a list of organizations that help people. However, there is a cut off age of 12 years for most organizations that help with gifts. Also call the Salvation Army, however, in a lot of places all of those different organizations band together into one, to provide Christmas help. I would need help at Christmas, if I didn't start my shopping in January. I have been done for at least a month.

I spend $20.00 on each of my adult kids and grandkids that range in age from 15-25. I also exchange gifts with an elderly aunt and a cousin, that I am really close to. If I find a $20.00 item on sale for $10-15.00 that is still counted as a $20.00 item. Everybody gets one gift. I also start buying groceries for the holidays durng the summer. It takes a little planning ahead to get by without begging for help. Also a lot of the non-profits that provide Christmas help, have a cut off age of 12 years for gifts. Kids don't need a lot of gifts and they don't need expensive gifts, do what you can. Also ask the pastor of your church if there is any way they can help.

Holidays and Parties Christmas CharitiesNovember 29, 2006
Girl in a red coat giving to the Salvation Army.
Michigan Christmas Charities
Oregon Christmas Charities
New Jersey Christmas Charities
Washington Christmas Charities
🎉
🎄