Crochet Christening Gown Has Yellowed

I have an antique crocheted christening gown that I need to carefully wash at home for my granddaughter. It has mildly yellowed with time. I will appreciate any help. It is all cotton.

By Andreina from Detroit, MI

Try soaking it in Oxiclean, it works wonderful.

My christening gown is 58 years old. My grandson is the third generation to wear it. Unfortunately it was a little yellow. I googled how to clean it and several people suggested oxi clean. I soaked it over night (in lukewarm water w/ one oxi clean pod in a clear glass bowl) and it worked beautifully. Thanks to oxi clean and all who suggested this.

I agree with Realtorrose, my sister did this with a baptismal outfit and it worked wonderfully!

Can anybody help? I have a 30 year old crocheted christening gown that my mother made for my son. He is now expecting his first baby and wants to use the gown, but with age, etc., the gown has gone yellow and more so on the folds where it has been folded for so long. How can I get it white again?

Lesley

Answers:

Crochet Christening Gown Has Yellowed

Put white vinegar on the spots, put in sunlight, let dry, repeat this till the spots are gone. I did this with a white evening gown. It worked for me, good luck. (02/24/2010)

By kffrmw88

Crochet Christening Gown Has Yellowed

Pros would use Orvus. (02/25/2010)

By muttmom

Crochet Christening Gown Has Yellowed

You didn't state whether the gown is crocheted with thread or yarn, but I'll assume since it's 30 years old it is crochet thread. I would try soaking it first in a pail, tub or container of some sort for a few hours with warm water (not hot) using 20 Mule Team Borax. It can be found at some Walmart stores (not all carry it). It should help to remove the yellowing and brighten it over all. If it doesn't get it totally out the first time, try soaking it again and re-wash. I use it in my white loads of laundry (and colored clothes also) and it does a wonderful job! Hope this helps. (02/27/2010)

By 1burrell