Cleaning Glass Doors on Fireplace

We use our fireplace a lot. The inside glass doors to the fireplace have that thick dirty film on them from so many fires. I don't want to scrape the glass with a blade because I don't want it to have scratches on them. Has anyone had this problem of cleaning theirs and found a good way to get them at least almost like new to see through again? My elbow grease and cleaners like Windex, detergent, are just not cutting it! Would appreciate your help. With the holidays here I would like to have them look nice and be able to see the fire when the doors are closed.

Julie

Best Answer

We have the same problem on our fireplace door. I found a product called Glass Cleaner (not very original I know but that's really the name!). We got it at the fireplace store where they sell wood stoves and accessories. It's magic! You spray it on a glass door, wait a few minutes and just wipe off. You may need to do it a couple of times but it WILL remove all the black crud.

Best Answer

Try a mix of baking soda and water; make a thick paste. That's what I use to get camping pots and pans clean. You have to rinse a lot to remove the white residue.

Best Answer

A magic eraser will work. So will the liquid cleaner for glass top ranges. In addition, I have used a razor and never made a scratch. Be sure to use the flat ones made for scraping (rather than a box cutter). Held at the proper angle, it's like magic!

Best Answer

We use newspaper dampened, then dipped in the ashes, to scrub the window. Works great.

Best Answer

Oven cleaner and a fine steel wool. It will clean and polish the glass.

Best Answer

I use biodegradable Pink Solution. Google pink solution and see where it is available in your area. I use it for so many things.

I saw an episode on the BBC show 'How Clean is Your House' about this very thing. They took a bowl of water and a rag, moistened the rag in the water and then dipped it in the ashes from the fireplace and scoured the glass. The ashes worked as an abrasive and took all the smoke and dirt completely off the glass. Since I don't have a fireplace, I haven't tried it myself. I hope it works.

The easiest thing I ever used was newspaper! seriously it makes it very clean and then you just throw it in to burn!

You should go ahead and try a razor blade. I have cleaned my stove windows with a box cutter type blade for years and have never made a scratch. Just be sure to hold it flat to the glass. It is quick and easy.

I use hand sanitizer. Works great.

Going with the old saying"fight fire with fire", use an old rag and dip it in the ashes from the ash box and rub the glass with it. Your window will sparkle.

We used to use ammonia (straight from bottle) on ours and it worked great and is cheap-but stinks!

Ashes work great on our glass doors. Dip damp rag in ashes and rub glass til clean. Wipe clean with a second damp clean rag and dry with crumbled news paper.

I have a coal stoker stove that I use to heat my house. Each year I have to replace the glass window so I can see that the stove is burining properly. The glass window obiviously gets dirty, but is appears to be impossible to clean back to the orginial clarity. I was instructed to use a silicone stove glass cleaner by the dealer, but it does not clean the glass and I think it may add to the problem. I would like to know if anyone has found a solution to this problem of cleaning the glass window.

September 17, 2011 Flag

How do you clean build up off of glass fireplace doors?

By Betty W.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Goo gone is great.

There is a special cleaner made for this that I use. First I spray and wipe with wadded up newspaper until the bulk of the soot is gone. Then I spray again and wipe with paper towels. If you cannot find the cleaner at the hardware store, you could try white vinegar cut with water and a drop of dawn (or another grease cutting dish liquid).

Good luck.

I found a GREAT and inexpenive cleaner for the glass door (and also many other things!). It's called AWESOME and I buy it at Dollar Tree, Family Dollar and also at Walmart. I just spray a lot on the glass and let it sit a few minutes-then I just wipe the soot away. I use newspaper to wipe it also, handy since I keep them nearby to start the fire with.

You don't need a special cleaner you don't need to spend a cent you have a great low abrasive cleaner literally right in front of you, ashes, they do a great job of cleaning even the most stubborn glass doors they don't pit or scratch your glass and they're free. Take a damp rag dip it into your ashes or wipe down the sides of your fireplace if you've already removed your ashes and scrub away rinse and wipe dry with a clean rag and your done without spending a penny.

Hi, I spray my paper towel with Windex and pat it down so it sticks to the glass. Let it sit on the glass for 15 minutes or so, then you can wipe most of it right off. Wishing you great evenings by the fire!

The best way that I found is to just scrape it off with a razor blade - putting newspaper down to catch the soot - and then washing the door. You can spray the door with water or the glass cleaner first to reduce dust.

Any oven cleaner. I have done this for years.

Glass Doors on Wood Stove
Cleaning Glass Doors on a Wood Stove
Home and Garden Cleaning TipsNovember 21, 2007
Logs burning in a fireplace.
Cleaning Your Fireplace
Star shaped glass candle holder.
Cleaning Candle Wax from Glass
Bungalow style kitchen cabinet with glass paned doors.
Cleaning Glass Doors on Wood Furniture
Woman in Green Shirt Cleaning Glass with Squeege
Cleaning Sliding Glass Doors
🎉
🎄