Diabetic Recipes

I just found out that I have type 2 diabetes. I'm looking for recipes for diabetics. And I know there are more readers with this health problem that could use them also. Thanks in advance!

By Mary from NH

I am have Type 2 diabetes and the best website I have found for recipes and general information is www.dlife.com. Their recipe database is awesome!

Mary, just about any recipe site will have a section for diabetic recipes. I was amazed how many sites do this.

I also was diagnosed about a year ago and had a very hard time to begin with. My in-laws (there is a lot of it on my husband's side of the family) gave me the best advice ever. They told me to eat whatever I want. Just watch the portions, and if it's a technical 'no-no", watch how often you have it.

Another hint that I've discovered has helped me a lot to keep my numbers down is to take cinnamon capsules every day along with my diabetic pills. I take 2 in the morning and 2 in the evening. I can really tell a difference when I don't take them. Another very important thing is exercise. Any kind, just get moving.

Oh, and one thing I learned the hard way just recently is to keep some hard candy with me always. With the triple digit temps here lately and me having to work outdoors at the time, I got hit with heat stroke and my blood sugar took a severe nosedive. I drank a soda and had a piece of hard candy and it brought my blood sugar back up to where it should be. I went out that day and bought some candy!

Good luck with yours!

Any recipe can be modified to be diabetic friendly by substituting Low GI (Glycemic Index), lo-fat and whole-grain ingredients instead. This website will tell you about low GI foods:

<http://www.glycemicindex.com/>

or Google "Low GI foods" for many other websites. Generally, you should limit highly processed foods, high fat foods, and foods with a high sugar content. Concentrate on healthy high-fibre vegetables and fruits, pasta and wholegrain breads. Use lean cuts of meat and fish and low-fat dairy foods. The above websites will tell you which foods to limit or avoid.

June 17, 2011 Flag

I noticed a lot of your recipes are high in carbs, what are frugal meals for diabetics?

By Sandra M. from Bettendorf, IA

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You don't need actual recipes, you can control the number of carbs, by the amount of the serving. Find a book that tells the amount of carbs different foods have in them. The only way to cut carbs is to lower the size of the serving. All casseroles have potatos, pasta, or rice in them and they all have carbs. An example from a chart that I have had for about 20 years. 1/2 small bagel/english muffin is one carb choice. Dried beans/green peas, 1/2 cup is 1 carb choice. One small whole potato(3 oz.) is one carb. French fries-16 to 25(3 oz.) is one carb., 1/2 hamburger bun is one carb., three cups popped popcorn is one carb., pasta, 1/2 cup is one carb. 1/2 cup corn, fresh berries, melon, 1 cup. These are just examples, and a diabetic should eat no more than 2-3 carbs per meal. This goes by carb. choice(1 serving).

Try this recipe. Its high in fiber and protein and only contains good carbs, and low in fat if you skip the cheese (which I usually do). You can also add shredded carrots, mushrooms, or whichever veggies you like to this.

http://www.food.com/recipe/brown-rice-and-lentil-casserole-74629

I accidentally posted this reply in an archived section, so I am re-posting it here - sorry about the confusion.

Any recipe can be modified to be diabetic friendly by substituting Low GI (Glycemic Index), low-fat and whole-grain ingredients instead. This website will tell you about low GI foods:

<http://www.glycemicindex.com/>

July 24, 2010 Flag

I would like recipes for a person with diabetes.

By Shirley from East Tawas, MI

Answers:

Diabetic Recipes

Some time back I wanted some diabetic recipes. If you just go on the internet and type in diabetic recipes you will get all kinds. (02/06/2010)

By gilphil

Diabetic Recipes

My husband is also diabetic. I love Dana Carpenter's 500 Low Carb Recipes Cookbook. So will you. The other day I entered a recipe for "Low Carb Chocolate Zucchini Cake My Way". It is not on the site yet, but watch for it.
It is my own version of one Dana has in her cookbook. (02/27/2010)

By SimplySharon8

Diabetic Recipes

March 3, I posted a diabetic cake recipe called Low Carb Sugar Free Chocolate Zucchini Cake. The only sugar in it is in the whey protein. Low Carb Chocolate Zucchini Cake Recipe. The publisher put the "sugar free" wording in the name, not me. If you like what it says, please give me a thumbs up. I love the cookbook by Dana Carpender, 500 Low Carb Recipes.

Thanks, Sharon of Lima, OH (03/09/2010)

By SimplySharon8

February 4, 2010 Flag

Does anyone have any good meal recipes for a person with diabetes?

By yard_sale_annie

Answers:

Diabetic Recipes

HI Annie,

If you put in your search engine (Yahoo, Google,etc) "Diabetic Recipes," you will get a base for getting recipes for diabetics. In some of those, you will have to send in to buy some but for the most part, you can download a lot. Also, if you are on a salt-restrictive diet, use onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper, white pepper, paprika as a base to season your dishes.

Good Luck. (04/09/2009)

By mallah

Diabetic Recipes

Everyone with diabetes should know about Dreamfields pasta, many diabetics swear by it. The Dreamfields website will give you lots of information about their pasta and why diabetics can eat it. (04/11/2009)

By Anonymous

April 7, 2009 Flag

My husband was just diagnosed with Diabetes and I need good tasting diabetic recipes with hamburger, pork, beef, etc.

By Sharon from Oxford, PA

Answers:

Diabetic Recipes

I was diagnosed about 11 years ago with type II. I have found a wealth of info and recipes on dLife.com. They also have a weekly TV program on Sunday nights on cable. Very helpful. (03/28/2009)

By DottieRN

March 27, 2009 Flag

I am looking for sugar-free and diabetic recipes.

Trudy from Queensbury, NY

Answers:

Diabetic Recipes

If you are using exchange lists, then you are doing it wrong. American Diabetic Association now recommends keeping track of carbohydrate exchanges. How many calories you are to have each day determines how many carbohydrate exchanges. 1800 calories is 15 exchanges. One exchange is 15 grams of carbohydrates. Contact the American Diabetic Association for more info on this program. Ask your doctor is there is a hospital in the area that gives classes on this program. (11/04/2008)

By Linda

Diabetic Recipes

http://diabeticgourmet.com/recipes/ (11/05/2008)

By Danialle

November 2, 2008 Flag

Can anyone give me some ideas on menu's for a diabetic. Exchange lists are a little complicated and a nuisance.

Fresh Salad
Diabetic Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes Dieting DiabeticJuly 24, 2010
Apple Pie
Diabetic Apple Pie Recipes
Making Diabetic Powdered Sugar (Sugar Free)
Blueberry Pie
Diabetic Blueberry Pie
Graham Cracker Crust
Diabetic Graham Cracker Crust Recipes
🎉
🎄