Winterizing Your Mower

At the end of the grass-cutting season, drain both gasoline and oil from your lawn mower. Oil should be drained so that corrosive contaminants won't have all winter to damage internal parts. Evaporating gas will leave a hard, gummy scum in the carburetor and fuel lines and cause starting problems come spring.

After draining the gas, run the engine to use up the dregs, then remove the spark plug & squirt a couple of shots of oil into the cylinder. Pull the starter cord a few times to distribute the oil inside the cylinder, and reinstall the plug. Finally, drain the oil out of the crankcase.

By Joesgirl

what do i do with the gasoline that i drain? is it save to let it drain on the ground or the lawn? same question with the oil.

Pam, it is not "supposed" to be acceptable to drain this stuff on the ground because it eventually drains down to the water table, polluteing wells and such. I consider this pretty much hogwash. When I worked at an auto repair shop, we'd buy junk cars now and then for parts, and had to drain the gas tanks. I'd then take the gas and use it as weed killer around the shop. Was this legal? Probably not, but it sure worked at killing the weeds.

The oil is a bit different: take it to your local garage or auto parts place that can recycle it. I worked for years at Advance Auto Parts and they do that; I think Auto Zone and Pep Boys do also, and I'm sure there are others, and it's free.

Joesgirl, everything you wrote is right on the money. One other tip: if you have gas stored, there are additives available at your local auto parts store to preserve it. And BTW, Joe's a lucky man to have such a smart girl.

A man winterizing his lawnmower.
Winterizing a Gas-Powered Lawn Mower
Home and Garden Gardening LawnNovember 2, 2004
Mobile Homes in Snow
Winterizing Your Mobile Home
Riding Lawn Mower
Repairing a Troy-Bilt Riding Lawn Mower
Mowing With Weed Wacker
Mowing a Lawn Without a Mower
Man tinkering with a riding mower.
Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start
🎉
🎄