Stretching High End Hand Soap

I just love some of the Body Shop liquid hand soaps, but find that they are so strong scented, very thick and creamy, and too expensive to waste. I found even one pump put too much soap into my hand. I felt like I was wasting a lot, and it isn't cheap, especially if you have kids that don't worry about waste.

I went to the dollar store and bought a bottle of similar scented body wash (or non-scented) and thinned it out using a half and half solution. It cut my consumption of the Body Shop soap in half and the wonderful scent wasn't lost at all. I also find that the solution is much better for pumping out and washing hands without wasting.

By Ann from Goulais River, Ontario

If you look in stores, even dollar stores, for foaming hand soap it will save and allow you to get around 10 times more use out of your soap. Use up the hand soap and then re-fill the bottle approximately 1 part hand soap to 8-10 parts hot water. This makes more soap and the foaming action spreads what is dispensed greatly. Hot water helps dissolve the soap in water. I buy large hand soap refills to use in the foaming soap containers and it lasts forever. Also have used the perfumed ones you mentioned to extend it. Love it!

You can also extend the expensive soaps by limiting how much soap gets pumped out. You just need to wrap something around the plunger to limit how far it can pump down. Each pump has different pumping action so you will have to play with things around the house like a zip-tie or a twist tie or a size marker from a hanger from the store. Something around the house will wrap on or clip on to limit the plunger depth and allow you t o pump less soap.

A person washing their hands with soap.
Saving Money on Hand Soap
Better Living Frugal Living TipsJune 1, 2011
Hand washing shower wall
Removing Soap Scum from Shower Doors
Bar of Soap
Making Liquid Soap from Bars of Soap
Liquid Hand Soap
Stretching Liquid Hand Soap
Neatly Wrapped Homemade Soap
Packaging Homemade Soap for Sale