Vacuum Food Storage System for Everything

I have a Ziploc vacuum storage pump and a vacuum food storage machine and use them for everything imaginable! To tell the truth the kitchen is the place they're used the least! Here are some examples of what I use them for. In some of these (with the vacuum machine bags), I have to create larger bags by cutting the roll to the length that I need, then cutting one or two more lengths, cutting them open lengthwise, and sealing them together, then sealing across the bottom. Then when it's full, sealing it across the top normally.

• Traveling: Here I use the Ziploc bags and pumps. I use the gallon size bags, put socks, nylons, other small clothing items in, seal it and vacuum the air out. I also put one or two items of other larger clothing (t-shirts, underwear, blouses, slacks (jeans won't fit), etc into a gallon size bag, seal and vacuum. This saves tons of space in the suitcase. You could even go with a smaller suitcase using this method. The pump is small so doesn't take up hardly any space at all.

• Trips To The Beach/Pool/Lake: The ziplock bag system is perfect for bringing home wet suits and towels in without getting everything else wet.

• Out Of Season Linens: They advertise Space Bags for these, but I've never had a space bag stay sealed for very long. This is where the vacuum machine comes in, and creating the size bags you need. I store everything from tablecloths and place mats to sheets, blankets and quilts. I also store out of season clothes, sweaters and coats this way. It's amazing how much closet space is saved!

• Seasonal Candles:I re-use candles from year to year (that's another post). When the season for a particular candle is over (i.e. pine for Christmas) I put it in a vacuum machine bag and vacuum seal it. It will still be like new for the next year!

• Craft Supplies: I'm an avid crocheter/knitter/plastic canvas/latch hooker. Pretty much anything to do with yarn. Which means I have more yarn than I have space to store it! So I use the Ziplock bags to store the leftovers, and smaller skeins in. I sort them according to like colors and types.

• And Finally The Kitchen! Vacuum sealing works wonders for sealing and storing/keeping everything except breads and liquids! Breads get smashed and liquids get sucked out during the vacuuming.

I use the vacuum bags and pump here because the bags are able to be opened, some removed, and resealed/vacuumed. I buy meats and veggies in bulk, cut them into individual serving size, vacuum seal and pop them in the freezer (dating the bags of course). Things stay good much longer this way.

I also use it in the fridge. It keeps leftovers, fruits, all sorts of things lots longer than putting it in a storage container. I've had lettuce (you know how fast that goes bad) last and stay crisp for up to 2 weeks!

I also prepare my own TV dinners, and vacuum seal them to go in the freezer, Not only healthier and tastier, but last much longer than the store-bought ones too.

• Another idea: If you are preparing a dish to take to a pot luck, then prepare it as usual and put it in the dish to take it in. Create a vacuum seal bag large enough to fit the whole thing in, and seal it closed (with the dish lid on). Then when you get to where you are going, there will be no spills or mess along the way.

By Cricketnc from Parkton, NC

I love my vacuum sealer too. I do freeze bread. I buy at the outlet and freeze 6 or 7 vacuum sealed bags at a time. It is just like fresh when I thaw it. The secret is to freeze the bread in its own bag before you vacuum seal it.. I put it in the freezer overnight, and then seal it right away and put it back into the freezer. When you are ready to use it, let it thaw in the bag and then open it and enjoy. You wont know it was ever frozen.

Thanks cricketnc, all those years, I put various things besides food into vacuum bags, cut to size, now I know how to make the bags bigger. I got one heck of a good deal at a thrift store for 6 big rolls that fit my vacuum, and I think it was $3 for all, so, I have a LOT of those rolls, and those things can cost a lot normally. So, why do I hardly use it for some time now? I'll start using that more now, you are right, those space bags don't last very long, but, those made to size bags will be great.

I also used food in them in boiling water, to heat them up from the freezer, and less pots and pans getting dirty, it really is a very good gadget to have.

I also use my sealer but not to vaccum seal when the chip or cereal or anything that come in those type of bags (I live alone). I use it to seal them back back up so as not to go stale. It works great.

Foodsaver on Kitchen Counter
Foodsaver Tips and Tricks
Consumer Advice Product Reviews Kitchen Food StorageFebruary 2, 2010
Frozen Veggies
Storing Vacuum Sealed Food
Vacuum Sealed Corn
Using a Vacuum Sealer
Foodsaver on Kitchen Counter
FoodSaver Reviews
Upclose photo of beige carpet.
Cleaning Carpets Without a Vacuum
🎉
🎄