Can I Request Giftcards in Lieu of Gifts for a Shower?

Is it inappropriate to request giftcards in lieu of gifts for a shower?

By MiMi from LA

I don't feel it is proper to request any particular type of gift for any occasion, other than at the bridal or baby registries.

When I got married (over 15 years ago), I read that it wasn't proper to tell guests where you are registered when sending out invitations. People will want to know, so *when they ask* it is okay to tell them where you have registered. I assume the same would apply to your situation. Don't mention gifts of any sort in your invitation. But if anyone asks, then you could tell them that you'd appreciate anything, but gift cards to (whatever store) would be particularly helpful. You might want to talk to one or two close friends/relatives about this. It's possible a guest would ask them what you could use/would like.

Best of luck with your happy occasion. I hope your wedding and union are wonderful and long-lasting.

No. But if someone asks you can suggest gift cards.

I think it would be proper to ask the hostess to organize a gift card shower, she could have people cut out photos of things they would buy with the gift card and have write down why they like that (this would be like the household hint part of the shower). For instance they could place the card in a box with a homemade swiffer pad with a pic of the swiffer and a note about why she likes to use this mop. The hostess could ask them to place it into an inexpensive kitchen item for wrapping such as a disposable food container, a roll of plastic wrap etc. This would make it fun but would also make the guests feel like they were shopping a bit for the bride. I would not be offended with this. I think this would be a fun kind of wedding shower, but the hostess would need to encourage guests to use their imagination. Good luck and have fun:)

It is not proper. But can be suggested if asked. (Asking for giftcards is like asking for money.) Some people are going to bring gifts anyway.

When my son got married I had a "pasta and wine" shower for them. Everyone brought a bottle of wine, some pasta (there are so many different kinds!), a pasta bowl, and their favorite pasta recipe. My son and his wife were University students and lived on pasta, which they love. Everyone said that was a great idea, because they never know what to buy for anyone, since most people have moved out of their parents homes and have everything they need before they get married. For instance..at another shower, they got 5 toasters and 3 mixers! I think, if you word it right, on the invitations, a gift card shower would be great!

It is not proper to tell anyone any time what you want as a gift. Someone asks, you can suggest. And don't forget to send thank you notes, emailed or verbal don't count. Nothing is worse than people asking for money, especially when they say they need it to fund their honey moon, or to pay on their wedding. If you have to beg for funds, then you don't deserve anything, any gift, in any form.

No, it's tacky! C'mon people! Whatever happened to being grateful for getting a gift at all? Now people want to dictate what they should get or want? Please! Let's find our way back to etiquette and decorum.

Holidays and Parties Gifts Bridal ShowerAugust 5, 2010
Repairing a Leaky Shower Valve
Repairing a Leaky Shower Valve
Shower Enclosure
Cleaning a Shower Enclosure
Shower Power Cleaner
Buying Shower Power Cleaner
People attending a baby shower.
Saving Money on a Baby Shower
🎄