Good Dog Breed to be a Running Companion

I would like to have a running companion. What breed would you recommend as a running companion that also protect me in case of an emergency or need?

Liliana from North Rose, NY

Why not look into a greyhound rescue? I have heard nothing but good things about the breeds intelligence and disposition, not to mention they are good runners and would benefit from the exercise.

Just the reverse is true. I read an article in the paper about a greyhound rescue & she said they are quite lazy & don't enjoy running. They lie around most of the time. Just another way humans exploit animals for their own greediness. I hope you're getting a dog because you want a lifetime companion in every way, & not just to run with you.

Grey hounds do not have the stamina to be a running companion. They do make wonderful pets. We have one and he is wonderful. They love to run but only very short distances, and you'd never be able to keep up. They are 45mph couch potatoes. They are also very sweet natured so I don't know how protective they would be. An hour walk and they are bagged. I would highly recommend one as a pet. They must never be off lease unless in a fenced in area. We love our boy very much. He and our mixed breed old girl get along very well.

Select a dog on the young side, prferably a large breed of the working or sporting dog groups. Remember that the dog needs to get in shape staring with short runs and working up to longer ones. Help your dog to get in shape as you would do for yourself, always carry water and a suitable dish for him to drink from, don't run him on very hot asphalt or similar surfaces, and always stop if he becomes winded, gasping or panting heavily. It would help to have a physical exam by a vet to ascertain that he is in good shape to go running.

We have a good friend who ran everyday with their male Dalmation. Plus, he was very protective when needed to be and very sweet the rest of the time.

We had a Rhodesion Ridgeback that went running with my neighbor every day. He would get between Pete and the road or other animals. We live in the country so we saw many "critters". They are normally large enough to make people think twice before they challenge them, but make wonderful pets.

Labs make great companions. They love to do anything you want to do. We have a black Lab named Sassy. She is my constant companion. She is very loving with children and even babies. She can be very protective too. Some one tried to break into our house one night and she turned into "cujo". If this guy had gotten in the door, she would have ripped him apart.

I guess Sassy could smell alchol on him because when the police caught him he was drunk and had gotten lost and mistook our home for his----or so he said. She was not letting him in the door. Right now she is laying at my feet.

A standard poodle (the largest) is the best for a running companion. They are great athletes and formadible protectors, not to mention great pals and clowns! Get a black one as they need the most exercise.

I suggest a German Shepard or a Boxer if you want a large dog. My shepard ran with me off leash-- but I could keep her from chasing a cat by voice alone. She also went into guard mode placing herself between my son,aged 12 and a man who approached him where he shouldn't have been.

The boxer was a friends' pet-- when her husband left the property with his suitcase-- the boxer went into guard mode and you'd better look out-- we couldn't even put our hands on the fence with my friend right there. She guarded the whole 13 months her husband was gone. Neither dog was trained for guarding.

Just be sure you get a dog that can adapt to your environment and schedule-- I think big dogs need more attention-- but that is my opinion..

good luck

Boxers are great pets.. Love to run/walk/play because they have tons of energy.. Theyre also very loyal. Ive been walking mine every night for years and its a dog that seems to keep most people at a good distance from you. (hes 9 years old now)

Alaskan Malamutes are wonderful dogs who love to run and run and run. However, they are not a breed of dog that just anyone can manage. They are loyal and protective, but require an owner who will leave no doubt as to who is in charge. But they will run forever because their breed is bred to run and to run with great stamina.

A teenaged neighbor has his Golden Retriever tied to a rope each day PULLING the guy on his skates FAST!

Obviously likes to run, pull and have fun! LOL

God bless you.

I have a boxer puppy that I would like to train to be a running partner. The problem I'm having is that we start on our walk/run and she is so stubborn. She just gets it in her head that she doesn't want to move, and I couldn't even drag her if I tried. Any suggestions?

Would a jack russell be a good running dog. I do about 3 miles every other day. I want a dog to run with but I have always wanted a jack russell.

nurseajicu AT yahoo.com

I have a Jack Russel I go running with and he's good to run with. You can forget about running him without a leash though. He chases anything, cats, rabbits, squirrels, birds, and even insects.

Ok, what's the truth here? Is a whippet a good dog to run with for a half and hour (on a leash of course?) I think they would make the best companion for me and I'd like to jog with it for a few kilometres twice a week.

(submitted via email)

For what I've heard, shiba inus are great running dogs and very athletic. I have a yorky and they (no offense, Mojo!) can't run at all.

lilrunner

I've got a black lab her, pure bred from england much stockier than American labs and she is great to run with but I would recommend an American lab as they are made for speed and longer distances.

I would suggest a catahoula leopard dog. They need lots of aerobic exercise and are very loyal and protective.

My nephew has an 11 month old doberman. Is it OK to take him for a 5km jog?

Greyhounds and running? Answer is both yes and no. Yes if you are doing short spints with plenty of recovery, no if you want to run endurance. I compete in athletics competitions, so I do quite a bit of running training. My greyhound will join me for short, sharp sprint sessions (i.e 100m intervals, where he bounds off the lead beside me and the other dogs), but he doesn't like long runs. The longest he'll go for is about 5 min, then he slows to a walk. He'll happily walk for about an hour though. Kelpies and JRTs tend to be good endurance running companions.

Pets Dogs AdviceAugust 27, 2006
Briard
Briard Breed Information and Photos
English Springer Spaniel
English Springer Spaniel Breed Information and Photos
A boy making a mean face and sticking out his tongue.
Teaching Children Good Manners
Great Dane
Great Dane Breed Information and Photos
🎉
🎄