SewingCrafts

Sleeveless Jerkin/Waistcoat Pattern

I am looking for a simple pattern or diagram for a sleeveless jerkin/waistcoat with pockets. I'm not great at sewing but think I could mange this if I had an easy basic pattern or design. Can anyone recommend a website for something like this?

Mary from UK

If you have a pattern for a blouse you can make a jerkin from it. Leave the collar and the sleeves off and stitch the bottom straight across. The armhole area can be faced with bias tape. For the pockets, just cut squares of material, turn the edges in about 1/2' or so and attach them to the front of the jerkin. Buttonholes can be hand-worked, if you prefer them. Hope this helps.

Try this website for Hancock Fabrics ( a fabric chain store here in the states)

www.hancockfabrics.com

If you register with their homepage then you can download free patterns and craft ideas. I think they may have what you are looking for, or at least something adaptable. Good luck!