Reusing Plastic Ice Cream Containers

Since we love ice cream so much, I like to buy the 5 quart size plastic containers of it. But instead of throwing the container away, I wash it out and reuse it for different things.

For instance, when I mix up cleaning solution, I invariably have a lot left over when I'm done cleaning. So I mix it into one of these containers, with the lid and the handle, and it is much easier to carry without fear of spilling along the way, and when I'm done I can just cover it, and save it for the next cleanup job.

Another thing I use it for is when I'm re-potting my house plants. It's a great size for mixing the different types of potting mixes, and also it's a good size for either scooping out of into a smaller pot, or pouring out of into a larger pot. And again, any left over mix can be covered and saved.

I have several in my bathroom. These I leave uncovered and have crocheted a pretty cover for them. One holds wash cloths, one holds extra bars of soap, and one is for other small bathroom items. Each hangs from a hook under a shelf on the wall. One is in the car hanging on a hook behind the front passenger seat, to catch any small things in the car. I keep one in the bathroom closet to hold all my pets' supplies such as the little tubes of flea drops, ear mite meds, heart worm pills, anything else like this. I also keep one in the bathroom for common medical supplies for us. Like band-aids, Neosporin, bandages and tape, a packet of extra ace bandage clips, things like this.

I keep one in the kitchen that my pets love because that's where I keep their little bags of treats too. As you can see I have them all over the place. They are so handy! And if I need another one, all I have to do is get some more ice cream!

By Cricketnc from Parkton, NC

They are great for storing cookies and candies in. When you cook a turkey or a ham, they are great for storing them and other leftovers in. They are great to store craft supplies in. you can use them to store jello mixes or ramen noodles, or spices.

I toss my compost scraps in one just for this purpose.

I use one in the kitchen as a "portable" compost bin so when it gets full I bring it to the compost bin in my yard.

Crafts Using Ice Cream Containers
Better Living Green Living ReusingDecember 16, 2009
Valentine's ice cream sandwiches.
Ice Cream Cake Hearts
Fried ice cream.
Fried Ice Cream Recipes
Snow Ice Cream
Snow Ice Cream Recipes
Removing Ice from Your Windshield, Gloved hand scraping icy windshield.
Removing Ice from Your Windshield