Household Aphid Pest Control

• Carnation Nonfat Dry Milk: Mix Carnation Milk Mix with water according to instructions on the box. Fill a trigger spray bottle with the solution. The aphids get stuck in the milky residue as it dries on the plants
  • Ad

• Real Lemon: Mix 4 tsp. Real Lemon Juice and two cups water in a trigger spray bottle. Spray the mixture on plant leaves being attacked by aphids. The lemonoids in the lemon oil kill the aphids.
  • Tang: Mix 4 tsp. Tang drink mix and two cups of water in a 16 oz. trigger spray bottle. Spray the mixture on the plant leaves being attacked by aphids. The lemonoids in the mix kill the aphids.
  • Tabasco Sauce: Mix two tsp. of Tabasco sauce, two tsp. garlic powder, one tsp. Ivory Liquid Dishwashing Soap and 2 cups water. Fill a 16 oz trigger spray bottle with mixture and coat the leaves of the plant with the solution. This will repel the aphids.

By Mythi from Silverdale WA

Top Comment

I was picking coddling moths worms off my apple tree leaves and discovered a few aphids on the new growth tips. However just as I was getting finished and wondering about the aphids, I spied a healthy

red ladybug, which reminds me that Aphids is what they eat for their food. I don't have too much of a problem with aphids, since my whole yard is more in balance after years of being organic, so I'm hesitant to try to spray for the few aphids right where the ladybug is doing her harvesting and helping in my tree. I accidentally killed a whole bunch of ladybugs when I was talked into using "Systemic Pesticide" on my only rose bush, that has gone wild and will likely be cut down soon because it's no longer worth it to me. It's encouraging to see a ladybug return!

I'll save your suggestions should the aphids spread or become a problem, and perhaps spray only on OTHER plants just at the site of the infestation. I learned that aphids are different colors for different

plants. Isn't that wild? My rose used to attract them, but now i have a garden full of Echanaecea which is beneficial and attracts the endangered honey bees.

I haven't seen my black bumble-bee yet, since the Mexican Petunias aren't in bloom. They are being sold in the local garden centers here like mad, and

I was pulling them up like weeds last year for fear of too many black bumblebees. We live and learn!

God bless you. : )

Hmmm. I have aphids on my lemon tree. They also were on my calamondin orange, my tangerine, and my naval orange trees.

I'm giving the Tabasco and garlic with soap a try tonight. I have the aphids on my Jalepeno plants and now on a large crawling plant. I hope it works and doesn't damage the leaves as I sprayed quite a bit on there.