Review: Audible.com

Does anyone have any reviews or advice about audible.com? Do you use it? Post your feedback below.

I've used them on and off for 5 years or so, but I don't really like them as a company. Here's my quick and dirty take:

Pros: selection is unbeaten - they have lots of stuff you won't find anywhere else

Cons: they're expensive; they will auto-bill your membership fee without asking; it's easy to get double-charged by accident and hard to get a refund; you have to install special software on your computer

My advice: When you sign up, use a credit card that will expire before your year is up, so you'll have a choice in the matter. (Or if you only want one or two items, just buy them at the higher price without joining.) Before buying an audiobook from Audible, check Half.com and your local second hand bookstore for a CD version that you can rip to MP3 and then resell. Check into other free and low-cost alternatives for audio content. There are tons of free podcasts available through iTunes, plus a couple of other Web sites come to mind -- learnoutloud.com, librivox.org. Google for "free audiobooks" to find even more.

Also FYI, Audible just got acquired by Amazon, and I'm really hopeful that Audible will begin to take on some of Amazon's traditional customer-friendliness. As of now, I deal with them but only because they have the market cornered on so many things I like.

If you don't want to use audible, I use my local library, they have tons of books to download for free. I have been doing this for months and it works great for me. Check out your local library.

I love Audible, have been a customer for about 5 years. The best selection and the website offers great ideas for great listens. It's worth it!

I have enjoyed many books on Audible.com, but currently I am finding it difficult to choose a book that looks appealing. Of the 71 titles on their find-a-new-series special, there wasn't one series that interested me. There were one or two series I had already read, I will admit. Guess this is a "dry spell" for me.

I worked for xm radio cancellations for a number of years. I often talked to very angry irate cx whose cc was still charged after the expiration date had expired, so be careful. Carla

My soon-to-be ex-wife loved Audible, so since I have a lot of time on my hands in this dark, cold apartment, I thought I'd try it. They refuse to let me join for the promotional rate of $7.95 per month x 3 mos. because I guess they see us as the same person, even though we're officially separated. I have a different email address, and different credit card, but the same address. I'm hereby protesting whatever computer program Audible has in place that prevents me from enjoying the same promotional rate of escapist coping mechanisms that my soon-to-be ex-wife employed while she was shamelessly bedding my buddy. Thanks for nothing, Amazon/Audible.

Consumer Advice Product Reviews InternetApril 9, 2008
Liquid Fence Deer and Rabbit Repellent
Liquid Fence Deer and Rabbit Repellent Review
woman brushing a cat
Product Review: FURminator
female doctor
Websites That Review Doctors
A Garden Journal
Keeping A Garden Journal
🎄