BudgetCollege Life

Turning Spenders Into Savers

My boyfriend and I have both just graduated and are moving on to school. We are both moving about a half an hour away, to the same town, and going to community college. I'm ready, he may not be.

Anyway... We both like to spend money, meaning neither of us have money. So please tell me, how do I turn my boyfriend into a frugal boyfriend? How to I help him, without feeling like I'm balancing his checkbook and stuff? I try and help him as much as possible, but it's frustrating sometimes.

Please help me guys! I am beyond frustrated, but I knew you guys could help.. So how do I turn two spenders into two savers?

Living frugally is a matter of discipline, maturity and ATTIUDE, none of which can be forced on anyone. Concentrate on YOURSELF and your own problem and don't nag your boyfriend. Turn frugality into a game and when you learn how to play this game and WIN it becomes something you will enjoy more than you can imagine right now. Your college will probably have some classes related to budgeting and money discipline. Maybe you could get your boyfriend to enroll in one with you. Good luck!!

Just remember that buying things won't make you happy. When you see an advert and think "I want that!", ask yourself why you want it and whether it will make your life any better. It's fun to make your own things and live cheaply, and if you just try and stick with it you'll enjoy it.

And don't worry about your boyfriend. He'll probably follow your good example ^_^