Help with Binding in the Sewing Machine Pressure Foot

My problem is a new Singer simple sewing machine that binds up in the presser foot when I'm sewing. I have oiled the machine using WD40 because we can't find sewing machine oil around here, but I'm still having the problem. Can anyone help! Thanks.

Denise Warner from McRae, GA

Hancock Habrics has Singer Sewing Machine oil. If you don't have one near you go to their website. I would never use anything but sewing machine oil on my machine and it's old as thunder.

What does your manual have to say about the problem?... It should have a troubleshooting chapter.

WD40 is a solvent, not a lubricant. Your new machine should have come with bottle of sewing machine oil. Do not use household oil--it is not fine enough. I use REEM on my Featherweights--find it in the gun cleaning section of Wal-Mart.

Try starting fresh, unthread machine, clean out bobbin area (always clean bobbin area every time you change bobbins), use good thread--not the 5 for $1 stuff. Coats, Gutterman, Metrosene are all good. I use Maxi-Lock on a cone for the most part (you'd need a special thread stand but their not expensive).

Carefully thread the machine and bobbin. Check tensions--and easy way is to zig-zag a few stitches, you can see if one side is too tight.

What kind of material are you sewing? If it's very sheer, it's easy to jam up. Try sewing across a 3 inch piece of cotton, don't cut thread and then start on your material. Or place a small piece of tissue paper under the first inch of you seam line.

Hope some of this helps!

Mindy's advice was right on. I would also check the size of the needle too. Keep in mind that you use different needles for thin or thick fabrics. They will advise you at any fabric store. And please if you want your machine to last, no more WD40.

I agree with the previous posts. Also, if it binds up when you first start sewing, pull the 2 sewing threads taut to the back as you start to sew. That should do the trick.

When this happens on my machine, it is because the thread is not coming from the bobbin properly.

On my machine the cover over the bobbin shows how the bobbin should be loaded and how the thread should come up. Mine has a little metal tab that the thread must be hooked over before bringing the thread up. If you model does not show you how to thread the bobbin in the machine, check your manual.

Good luck.

If the pressure foot is binding up it tells me there is too much pressure forcing the pressure foot down on the material. On my machines which are industrial I have an adjustment to add or relieve tension on the pressure foot. On thick material I relieve the pressure foot tension. For thinner material I add pressure. WD40 should not be used to lubricate a sewing machine. If you wanted to clean off some sewing machine parts one might use WD40. The proper sized needle is in relation to the size of the thread and has nothing to do with the material.

It simply may be that your machine is not heavy enough to handle the bulk of the material. I made chair covers for my friend on a nice , but not too well-made Brother and ended up having $150.00 (half of what is cost!), worth of repairs. The repairman told me some machines have metal under parts and some have plastic. The plastic under parts will not handle the heavy sewing jobs that a heavier made machine will. I now have both.

This might be your problem.

The repairman also said he wishes the companies would stop putting in the little "kits" with the oil and the screw drivers, because the average person just ends up messing up their machines with trying to

"fix" things on their own. WD40...Please! no

Also be sure the needle is in right -- flat side facing away from you.

Kerosene is the best. I've used WD-40, and it works, but the problem is that the chemical smell stays for too long. Anyways, Singer brand machine oil I hate because most of Singer's products are actually only licensed merchandise, so Singer's quality is reduced as a result of most of their merchandise being produced by third parties. The oil is one of these products. I trust Singer, but not other companies using the Singer logo.

If you are sewing thin fabric you might need to put some wax paper under it to help or any paper will help, then remove the paper when done sewing, good luck.

Don't use WD40. If you can't find sewing machine oil get household machine oil. It is thin and will work. However, anyone who uses a computer can get anything they want on line. Go to Joann's fabrics on line and order some sewing machine oil.