Keeping Extra in the Checking Account

When writing checks for things, always round off to the next dollar in your checkbook register. All of those cents add up!

By kmurray

I totally disagree with this method. There would be no way to keep your checkbook balanced each month by doing this. You should have the exact amount in the book and do not spend more than you have in there, in fact always keep extra money in it just in case you make a mistake in your math, or forget a automatic charge. It is way too expense to get overdrawn and may affect your credit rating. .

Saving pennies is good but how about increasing each check to the nearest 10 dollar amount. You'd be amazed how this add up

I disagree too, balance to the penny each month, I suggest. Also, get overdraft protection, so if you do bounce a check you won't be charged, but it will come out of your savings account instead. Also, to avoid fees, write the debit amount in your check register before you even hand your debit card to the cashier. I just thought of this and am going to try it myself now!

Im a fanatic about balancing my checkbook!!!! Iv if off by one cent I

will spend hours finding it.. if all else fails I give it my hubby to find it! Somtimes he just waits and grins and says.. *want me to find it??

When Im worn to a frazzle I let him :) I have to find every last cent

and get it to balance!!!

I had a business teacher in college who did this and it drove her accountant husband nuts! She said she considered it a nice surprise and he said there should be NO surprises in the bank account. They're now divorced. :-)

The bank I deal with here in Canada does this for me! They round up every debit purchase to the next dollar and automatically deposit it into my savings account! It's surprising how quickly this grows!!

I have done this for well over 30 years. I just let those cents accumulate. It allows me to have what i call, a cushion. When i get to the end of what money I think I have, I write deposit in th checkbook & then write in any checks or charges after that. After a while, I have enough in my account, to cover those charges on it. Years ago, when I closed out my checking account, to move to a bank closer to where I moved, I had over $500.00 in there. This is great, cause sometimes I have to buy something I hadn't planned on or had an unexpected bill & I was able to cover those charges.

They are written in the account after the deposit entry & get subtracted after the next deposit. I haven't balanced my checkbook in about 35 years. Not only is it a pain, it's very hard to account for those pennies & it use to drive me crazy. I just check online, make sure all the charges match my checkbook & look to find out that the bank thinks I have much more money than i think i have each time i check, which is about every week or so. It gives me peace of mind & makes it easier to manage things. If it was put in a savings, I wouldn't have the cushion to help when I needed it.

Budget & Finance BankingFebruary 24, 2005
Checking Your Tire Pressure
Checking Your Tire Pressure
Yahoo Mail
Troubleshooting Problems with Yahoo Mail
Overdrawn bank account.
Dealing With an Overdrawn Bank Account
Red Hair Dye
Removing Hair Dye Stains from a Bathtub
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 15, 2017 at 10:38:19 AM on 10.0.0.27 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.