Saving Money on Cleaning Contact Lenses

Tips for saving money on cleaning solutions for contact lenses. Post your ideas.

Best Answer

Walmart seems to be one of the cheapest for multipurpose solution. I use their store brand multipurpose solution for rinsing and cleaning. The saline stings my eyes. I have never had any problems with the generic brands and I'm a contact wearer for almost 20 years.

Best Answer

I went to my optometrist years ago and decided to be honest. I told him I was only using saline because of the cost.

He picked up a bottle of the solution I should have been using and walked me over to the Hydrogen Peroxide. (Yes the brown bottles for 50 cents!) They have the same ingredients! The only difference is the label, check it out.

This system works well with the Aosept cups that have the hole in the top. It is very important to let the air out overnight. You will see and here the bubbles. The air will convert the Peroxide (H2O2) into water (H2O)

Remember to rinse with saline. This was just before the multi-purpose solutions came out so it was always two steps.

I used this for many years with no ill effects before I went back to glasses.

I still use cleaner along with the multi-purpose solution. Saline is cheaper than the multi-purpose solution, so I rinse with the saline and store in the multi-purpose solution.

Use generic brands which are cheaper than name brands, even if you have a manufacturer's coupon.

By Syd

I would caution anyone who uses generic solutions. Some of them are loaded with preservatives that can cause allergic reactions.

And while it's OK to rinse your contacts with saline solution, please make sure you clean and disinfect with a multipurpose solution! NEVER, NEVER just use saline to clean your contacts!

I worked as an optometric assistant for 15 years, and I've seen what can happen when someone only uses saline, and my own daughter had a reaction to her generic solution.

Just a note of caution!

About 20 yrs ago I used only saline solution for my contacts for about 6 mths I lost 1/2 of my sight it took about 2 yrs to get some of it back. You be careful!

Cleaning Contact Lenses
Cleaning Contact Lenses
Home and Garden Cleaning MiscellaneousDecember 30, 2004
Uses for Contact Lens Cases, Green and white contact lens case.
Uses for Contact Lens Cases
A woman putting on contact lenses.
Caring for Contact Lenses
Cleaning eyeglasses with a cloth.
Cleaning Eyeglasses
Brick Chimney
Saving Money on Chimney Cleaning