Making a Cake Without Eggs or Oil?

The other night I had a boxed spice cake mix but no oil or eggs. My cupboards were pretty bare. The box called for 1/3 cup oil and 3 eggs. I had some mayonnaise and used 1 cup of it, 1/2 tsp of baking powder and about a Tbsp of sugar. I baked it for the same length of time recommended on the box. The cake turned out amazingly well and I'd definitely do this again in a pinch.

By Ellavemia from Bellaire, OH

The BEST cake ever is a plain box mix with a can of DIET soda. No eggs or oil. Just the mix and a diet soda. It turns out very moist and the options are endless. Not to mention its healthier for you. Try it, youll be amazed.

How about a orange cake mix w/ 7up or sprite?

A chocolate cake with cherry coke?

White cake with cream soda?

Endless possibilities. Cake does come out pretty dense and crumbles a bit easier, be prepared for that :)!

And, btw, mayo in brownies substituted for eggs is amazing. It dont sound too pleasant but it works wonders and there no mayo taste like in your cake.

I've been wanting to try the can of diet soda in a cake, but the trouble is I didn't have any of that either, I just had mayonnaise and ketchup in the fridge. It was great being able to use up the mayo and get a cake out of the deal and I didn't have to go hungry that night!

Some World War 2 recipes would also be egg and oil free.

Substituting mayo for the oil in a cake works because the main ingredient in mayo IS oil (plus egg, spices and lemon juice &/or vinegar).As long as the flavoring in the cake over-rides the spices in the mayo you should be ok. A little extra flour plus some baking powder could substitute for eggs in a pinch. Good for you for being resourceful!

May 22, 2009 Flag

Theresa from Jamaica, NY sent in a wonderful recipe a few days ago called Orange Dreamsicle Cake which I can't wait to try; but I do have a question first: so I really don't need to add eggs or oil to the cake mix?

Lynn from Chico, CA

Answers:

Cake Without Eggs or Oil?

You know that is a good question! Please let me know too! Thanks!

Wanda (04/03/2006)

By Wanda Taylor

Cake Without Eggs or Oil?

I must have missed that recipe - sounds good - please repeat. (04/04/2006)

Editor's Note: There is a link above for the recipe that Lynn is referring to. Just click on Orange Dreamsicle Cake.

Cake Without Eggs or Oil?

There are "9" recipes on www.cooks.com. Hope this is the one you are looking for.

• 1 box orange cake mix
  • 1 sm. box orange Jello
  • 1 cup boiling water
  • 1 small box vanilla instant pudding
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 tsp. orange extract
  • 1 small container whipped topping (8 oz. size)

Make cake mix according to box. Make holes in cake while still hot. Make orange Jello with 1 cup boiling water. Pour Jello over cake while still hot. Cool cake completely. Make vanilla instant pudding with only 1 cup milk, add vanilla, orange extract and whipped topping. Mix and spread on cake. Refrigerator.

(04/04/2006)

By dsbaby14

Cake Without Eggs or Oil?

It says mix cake according to directions. If it calls for eggs and oil, use them. (04/04/2006)

By lazisuzi

Cake Without Eggs or Oil?

If you read the directions carefully, the instructions state "mix cake following instructions on box" which includes whatever ingredients indicated. Most box mixes require egg or oil. After cake is made, then you follow the instructions with the jello, etc. You can do this with most any flavor of jello, and boxed white or yellow cake mix.(04/04/2006)

By JUDY

Cake Without Eggs or Oil?

Well actually I haven't heard of a cake without oil but for eggs there are substitutes.
The egg(S) are the reasoning behind a rich moist and fluffy cake. There are substitutes, though. You can use vegetable oil as a substitute or egg powder. You see i am worried right now because it is my mother's birthday and instead of buying a cake I want to make her one but the problem is I'm out of eggs. So I'm worried. Good luck with the cake and happy eating! (07/18/2008)

By sunny d

Baking Recipes Without Eggs
Baking Recipes Without Eggs
Food and Recipes Food Tips BakingMay 22, 2009
Disposing of Used Motor Oil, Used Motor Oil in a Gallon Jug
Disposing of Used Motor Oil
dirty garage floor
Removing Oil Stains from Garage Floor
Up close photo of a dirty driveway.
Removing Oil Spills from Your Driveway
Egg-Free Cookie Cake
Egg-Free Cookie Cake Recipe
🎉
🎄