Browsing: Setting Permanent Marker on Clothes

How to SET Permanent Sharpie Pen Ink into Clothes

How do you SET Sharpie Ink into clothes (primarily cotton or cotton blend t-shirts and also dennim pants/jeans).

I work at a Scout camp and at the end of each week all the staff and kids sign each other's camp shirts (or Jeans - mom's GOTTA love that! LOL). Anyway, last year, my daughter wore her t-shirt a lot and all the sharpie "permenant" ink came out in the wash - isolated case of NOT wanting it to come out, but I can't find anywhere to tell me how to make sure it DOESN'T come out!

Thanks,
Scouter James

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

I think I would try ironing the item at as high a setting as the fabric allows/

Sharpie makes a marker specifically for this purpose- you can find it with the other sharpie markers at the store and it will say "for laundry" on it. It is about $2.00

If a regular sharpy pen in put through the wash once will it be removed or faded? Is there a way to prevent that from happening if the pens do?

I would iron it (as someone else suggested) and then soak it in cold strong saltwater (just as you do when dying a garment). Afterwards wash in cold water only.

Someone told me that you could soak the article of clothing in vinegar before washing it.

Someone told me to put it in the dryer first.

Here are the exact full proof way on how to set ink into clothes. Items needed- Salt, Iron, White Cloth. These instructions included in the link are very simply. ***Always wash in cold water as less as possible or dry clean. You must place the item of clothing with ink on it onto ironing board. Place the white cloth over the area where you'd like the ink to to set, Iron over the cloth on med-high heat setting. After waiting 24 hours after ironing every area. Place 1/2 cup salt into washer with cold water, no detergent. Wash item. Then dry in dryer.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6696555_set-ink-fabric.html

Autographed Jersey
Setting Permanent Marker on Clothes
Consumer Advice Clothing AdviceJuly 12, 2005
A Sharpie marker with its lid off.
Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from a CD or DVD
A Sharpie marker with its lid off.
Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from a Computer Screen
Permanent Marker
Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from Leather
Permanent Ink
Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from Metal
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 24, 2016 at 7:30:32 AM on 10.0.0.227 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.