Cutting Mirrors At Home

I've been able to collect several unframed mirrors with a few chips and several wrong sizes. Before I spend time searching the Internet, has anyone had success in cutting mirror? I know it's silvered glass, and yet, the glass companies will NOT cut it for me, saying it's too risky with older mirrors. I've never even cut GLASS, but have seen it done. Any detailed suggestions or personal experience with secrets to cutting mirrored glass?

lynda from TX

First you need to purchase a cutting tool that is used to cut glass, it's not very expensive and you can find it in most stores. I recently used scrap mirror which I cut up in small pieces and made mosaic items with it. Are you trying to save the mirrors and just trim them to use again. If the mirrors are not too large it will not be too hard. The key to success is being able to score the mirror with one even stroke. You cannot stop & start again nor go in reverse. It does take some practice. Once the mirrir is scored, there is another tool that is used to break it. I live in PA and just removed a very large wall mirror and took it to a local glass shop and they cut the edges for me. It was only $5.00 per cut so it only cost me $20 to trim the whole mirror. Mostly, be patient and practice.

Hi just remember when cutting glass or mirror to wear gloves and safety glasses to prevent being cut by splintered or broken glass.

I have worked with mirror a fair amount when I had my antique store. I hate cutting them but it can be done with a certain amount of ease providing the mirror is not too thick. That is the trick. If you have a thick mirror, it won't matter how small it is you will not be able to do a good job of it. Since garage sale time is here I would pick up some old mirror and/or mirror tiles and practise. Make sure when you go to cut you have the edge exactly parallel to your table top. You need to tap the excess mirror which will come off but the part which will remain needs to be supported from under. Good luck.

Crafts Glass ArtJuly 12, 2007
Cleaning Bathroom Mirrors, Reflection in a mirror of boy drying his hair with a blow dryer.
Cleaning Bathroom Mirrors
Decorating Ikea Mirrors
Decorating Ikea Mirrors
Decorating With Old Mirrors
Decorating With Old Mirrors
Cleaning Mirrors
Cleaning Mirrors