Fruit and BerriesFreezing

Do Fruits and Vegetables Lose Nutritional Value When Frozen?

I have been given some fruit and vegetables, more than I would eat in a week. I have decided to freeze most of the veggies and some of the fruit. Does anyone know if much of the vitamins and minerals are lost in the freezing of them? Many thanks.

Helen xx

By Helen from U.K

I found this at helpwithcooking.com: "Fruits and vegetables actually begin to lose valuable vitamins and minerals soon after picking, especially if they are stored at room temperature or above. However, if they are frozen within a few hours after harvesting, this will not happen."

So it sounds like freezing them is a very good idea. Plus, if you don't freeze them, you'll definitely lose nutritional value when you have to throw them out!

I tend to buy fresh fruits and vegetables on a weekly basis and after a thorough washing I freeze much of it for a later date for juicing. Do these fruits and veggies lose any nutritional value from freezing? If so, how much? Any details and pointers are appreciated.

By Pat

Any fresh produce is going to lose something, from the time it is picked, till the time it is consumed. The produce that you freeze yourself, provided it is done safely and properly, will have more nutrient value than if you bought the same item in a frozen bag from the store.

I am sure that you can look up the approximate nutrition values on most state or national food sites.

Search for something like 'nutritional values comparison', etc.

Good luck to you.

I agree with the other poster. You will always lose some nutrients. Heck, you start losing that as soon as you take it off the tree/out of the ground! Freezing, when done properly, doesn't make you lose too much, tho. If you really are worried about losing nutrients from your fruits and veggies, then watch out for cooking them! This kills the enzymes/nutrients - especially Vitamin C.

Hope this helps! God bless!

You are fine. They will still be good for you even if they lose some.

Frozen foods in the store - frozen peas, for example, often have more nutrient value than the fresh product as the time they spent from plant to the frozen state is less than the travel time for "fresh produce" in your store.

Depends where you live, how far this stuff has been trucked, time of year, whether it is in season or not, and so on. Freezing causes very little loss of nutrients. You might be able to find this sort of information on a state, province, or federal health site, such as Health Canada.