Dogs and Parvo

I foster puppies that I just found out have parvo. Will my 3 other dogs be OK and when are the puppies safe from the disease?

Donna from Buffalo, NY

I foster dogs and puppies too, and parvo is always a big threat.

Your dogs are only safe if they are up-to-date-on their vaccinations. (Rabies is one shot, then they have an all-in-one that covers parvo, distemper, and others. Shots need to be boosted one month later, then once yearly.)

The puppies are only safe when they are at full immunity in their vaccination schedules as well.

If the mother was up-to-date on her vaccinations, the puppies will have maternal immunity until 6 weeks of age. Then they lose this protection, and puppies need to get their initial vaccination at 6 weeks, and a booster a month later. If mommadog's immunity is unknown, pups should go in immediately, and then for two more boosters.

You need to scour your house/ yard for feces. Triple bag them. Douse your home and yard with dilute bleach solution, (yes your couch and carpets too) and dig out any soil that could have infected feces in it, and dispose of that too. The virus can live in the soil for about a year. (The bleach solution should be about 20 parts water to one part bleach, and sprayed on items.)

The virus can be tracked from yard to yard on shoes and car tires if someone stepped in or drove over infected poo.

Good luck. You have some hard work ahead of you.

Sincerely,

Janet

I'd get all of them to the vet. I had a dog get parvo after having it's parvo vac. and it also happened to another dog I knew. My dog did survive but the vet bill was a small fortune. Sometimes the shots are no good, I would warn all of your neighbors also.

I had a pregnant dog with Parvo, it effects there Intestines, and dehydrates them. So I gave her Gravol Supositories, and that seemed to help with the Vomiting and nausea for her, the next couple of days were touch & go, but by the second day I tried to give her water & Baby Food, but all she wanted Ice Cream. I know that Dairy upsets their stomach, but it was something she wanted and i needed to rehydrate her. Within4-5 days she was drinking and eating baby food, slowly started to give her dog food, and within a week she was up & running....She lived to be 13 yrs old...

If my dog who survived parvo gets pregnant will she pass parvo on to her puppies?

As much as I influence going to the vet, getting necessary shots and spaying and neuturing. I recently got 2 puppies that had parvo before I brought them home. Then my other dogs got sick even though the parvo shot is supposed to prevent it, but I guess its because it was in between his 2-3 puppy shot. Well I called tons and dozens of vets, animal hospitals and all. Nothing was in my price range, I know you can't put a price on the love of your pets but I was just in a bad position at that time.

All of the vets wanted up front payments, I didn't have money. I tried to get them to bill me; but none of them do that anymore. Well anyways, since I couldn't afford to give my puppies the proper care at that time, which I was devastated about. I looked online, called vets, called friends and there I found a cure that had details written by a old vet, he said "If your puppy has Parvo or worms and is not eating and you cannot afford vet care, I have a solution give your dog/puppy about half a jar full of baby food a day in a syringe. Mix the pedialyte with water, the dog does not need all that sugar, then switch give it a syringe full of baby food (pick a meat kind, it'll be more enjoyable for them.) and then a syringe full of water/pedialyte.

Do that until they get feeling better and then switch them to canned food for the next 2 weeks. " I was so nervous but this was my last resort. I did that daily for about 3-4 days and they all were up wagging their tails, barking and playing. So that teaches me a lesson for bringing unvetted pups into my home. I hope this works as good as it did for me. But next time I will take them to a vet. I hope this saves your little ones life. Thank you, god bless.

May 23, 2012 Flag

My sister got a puppy and within 36hrs they had to sadly put the puppy down because it had parvo. All they are asking for is the money they purchased the puppy for and not the vet bill to put him down. They sent a copy of the certificate from the vet stating that the breeder sold them a puppy unfit to sell. The breeder even after seeing the certificate claims that they got the puppy sick.

They picked the puppy up on a Thursday evening and came right home, they rushed the poor thing to the animal hospital at 2am Saturday morning. The vet also explained that the parvo virus syptoms generally show 5 to 7 days after contracting the disease, which means he got it while still with the breeder. The breeder says that the other puppies in the liter are fine and does not believe the vet report or my sister. Is it possible for only a few puppies in a liter to get parvo while others do not?

By Carol

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hello,

Yes! Only one puppy can get Parvo. I would try and talk to the breeder again. If there is no response, I would take them to small claims court to recover the money you lost, include everything; cost of puppy, Vet bills & etc.

When they are served with a date to appear in court please take the notice from your Veterinarian with you, better yet, ask your Veterinarian to be a witness in court for you. Good luck. I am so sorry about the puppy.

I am with K9cats advice 100% including suing for the vet bills! It is possible only one can get it but more than likely some or all will/did. Incubation is actually 4 to 14 days so that puppy definitely had the virus before it left the breeder.

Also, print out the information from the following link to take to court along with the vets detailed bill and also the vets affidavit of explanation if he/she isn't able to personally testify in court.

http://www.vetinfo.com/dparvo.html

PS, I am so sorry that your sister and the puppy had to go through such an awful trauma :-(

Puppy With Parvo
Caring for a Puppy With Parvo
Pets Dogs HealthApril 10, 2007
dog with parvo
Information About Parvo
A dog being seen by a veterinarian.
Can a Dog Get Parvo Again?
Puppy Running in Yard
Getting Rid of Parvo Virus in the Yard and Home
Puppy Smelling Flower
Getting a Puppy After Losing One to Parvo
🎉
🎄