Holes in Leaves of Basil and Pepper Plants

I have bugs on Basil and Pepper plants. There are lots of little holes on both plants. Could this be slugs? What do I do?

By mom of towers from St. Louis, MO

Get a pesticide to sprinkle on or spray on. I use this stuff called sevin.

If they are little holes, I doubt it's slugs. Probably some type of worm, beetle or even a young caterpillar. There are many natural and cheap home-made solutions to combat them. They all basically have the same theory:

something to repel them - hot peppers, garlic, cloves

something to make it stick - oil, dish soap

(also works to smother them).

Always test on your plants before spraying them. Never spray in the heat of day. If it is a caterpillar, try Bacillus thuringiensis which is safe for humans.

So, if I were to use hot peppers or garlic, would I "cook" them in oil, cool, and spray? Or soak in dish soap? Don't mean to be dense. Thanx

Holy Cow! I would NOT recommend Sevin! Check out the warnings on the product (as always) before you even consider using. Seems a little crazy to be growing good healthy food, but exposing yourself as well as the whole environment to this toxic substance. Here are the facts: http://www.southernag.com/PDF%20Files/ms1070.pdf

I use baby oil, just a few drops and dish soap; just a few drops and mouth wash. That should help, spray early in the morn for a few days. Slugs usually attacks the roots. Slugs killed a pretty zinna bed for me. The plant s got real wilted. I didn't know what it was. Then I dug the bed up and it was infected with slugs. Hope this works for you.

I use sevin on my plants and my dog. If you look on the label it tells you when to use sevin and when not to. I do like the common homemade pesticides too but don't put sevin in a class as dangerous. Just read the label and use as label says. Also on the label it tells you how to use it on your dog, and maybe cat. I think it is sevin5 you use on animals. Sevin is a very good product. Just do some reading.

thanx everyone!

Raid House and Garden Spray takes care of a lot of bugs inside and out. It must be reapplied after a rain.

Sounds like flea beetles to me. Little black bugs that jump from plant to plant. Try planting your peppers and basil (they like the heat) a little later in the season than you usually do when flea beetles aren't so prevelant in the garden.

Home and Garden Gardening Pest ControlJune 5, 2009
Pepper Plant
Growing Pepper Plants
Growing Basil
Growing Basil
Recipes Using Fresh Basil
Recipes Using Fresh Basil
Flowering Basil
Preventing Basil From Flowering
🎄
🍂