Treatment for Brittle Hair

My hair is broken off at the center of the shaft and it is very brittle. I have not had a perm since last October. All I have been doing to my hair is washing it and setting it. I need a perm very badly. I have never had a problem with my hair before.

I am 46 and I don't know what happened. It's thin and broken off around the edges. I am worried; I have always had thick hair.

By Vickie

If it is breaking off, it is damaged. Is it all breaking at the same length? Would it be reasonable to have it cut to that length? That is the only solution I can think of as the hair is damaged. Treat it gently. No dryer. Let it air dry, use a soft brush, and a conditioner for fragile hair. If the hair below that point is OK, then all you can do is let it grow out. If the hair is like that down to the scalp, see a doctor. This could be a thyroid problem. Good luck. Please let me know what happens.

Hormones may also be playing a factor here. Menopause or even peri-menopause changes many things, including hair (thinning). The other thing to consider or look into is a possible thyroid condition.

Sounds like instead of needing a perm, you need a rest. Seems like it is damaged, especially if mid-shaft is 4-5 inches from your scalp (hair grows about 1/2 inch per month). Nobody needs a perm. get it cut in a nice easy style for the rest of the summer, and use a good shampoo and conditioner, plus a reconstructor once every 6 weeks or so. Let it rest til this October or longer; then if you decide to go back to a perm you can. You might find you like an easier style better, who knows? In any case let it rest, and if getting the damaged hair cut off and treating it nicely doesn't do the trick by October (or sooner if it keeps getting worse), go to the doctor. Sounds like the last perm over processed it a bit, especially where the rod bands would have held the rods near the scalp. Good luck!

hi 1st question perm curly or perm-relaxer? Because if its a perm relaxer your going through the processes let it do its thing or start trimming it down if you no longer want to perm get a smoothing keratin that will help your hair 100%. I've been a hairdresser for 18 years and I love that stuff. 75% of my clients have the keratin done also. Remember the older you get the less hair. If you take medication, that can do it too. Don't stress out; that can rush the process.

A woman looking at the ends of her damaged hair.
Remedies for Damaged Hair
Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips DamagedJuly 4, 2011
African American woman with natural hair holding a strand and looking at it with concern
Remedy for Hair Damaged By Relaxer
Microwave Peanut Brittle Recipes
Cashew Brittle Recipes
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes