Mosquito Repellent for Dogs

I have a Border Collie and a Yorkie. The Yorkie is not bothered much by the mosquitoes, but the Border Collie is enveloped in a swarm the moment he steps outside. Does anyone have a safe repellent that I can use on his face? The skeeters bite his face and even his eyelids. Thanks.

By Betty from Elgin, IL

I'd read mosquitoes didn't like the smell of lime, so I grated the peel of lime from a 1/2 dozen limes and put it in alcohol in a lidded jar for a bit. Strained it and mixed with a little oil. Now you wouldn't want to put alcohol near anyone's eyes, but if you used a cotton swab with just the alcohol [leave out the oil] and rubbed it on all the fur, some of the lime oil would help the scent stick. Also, might see if you could find some Skin So Soft and mix in a little of that. Kind of strong, but in a way, that's the point. Might only have to do it 2 times a month. Are you surrounded by

places where mosquitoes can breed?

Perhaps you could go to an essential oils place and find lime oil.

What about rubbing him in safe places with a fabric softener sheet? I've heard it works wonders with humans by just carrying one in your pocket. Rub it on places he can't clean off; top of head, ears, etc., nothing he could lick. Probably worth a try. Poor thing. Good luck!

Try a little spray with lemon eucalyptus.

Food grade Diatomaceous earth (DE) is supposed to work. It is all natural, has no taste or smell, and it's non-toxic. It also kills fleas & ticks on contact.

I use a Melaleuca product called Solumel, I put it on a rag or paper towel and rub it on the dog's fur. Seems to work very well. I also use it as a diluted spray for my horses, keeps the bugs away from them. No, I do not sell it. Google it and go from there. It is not found in stores and is Australian tea tree oil based, so if you are allergic to pine trees, stay away from this.

I use the same repelent on my dog as I do on me. Lemon eucylyptus, geranium, and citronella in a carier oil like jojoba or almond oil. It will repel ticks and mosquitos. DONT use dryer sheets! Dryer sheets (unless bought at a health food store) contain harmful chemicals. I don't even use them on my clothes, so I would never rub my dog, or myself with them.

August 11, 2010 Flag

What is a good mosquito repellent for dogs?

By dw1959

Mosquito Repellent for Dogs

I have 2 Dachshunds and I spray them with "Off!" and it works great. Another suggestion would be to attach a dryer sheet to the dog's collar. Another: Wipe the dog down with Avon Skin-So-Soft. Don't forget the belly and legs all the way to the feet. (07/22/2009)

By Cricketnc

Mosquito Repellent for Dogs

The dryer sheet and Skin-So-Soft is a great idea, but personally I have to say stay clear of bug repellents that contain Deet (Off contains Deet) :-( Sorry Cricketnc :-(

Deet affects the central nervous system and can cause life long motor skill damage. Even just mild motor loss is a big deal. It affects both animals and children far more than adults. Google "Hazzards of Deet" and you will get the picture after reading just the first three or four links.

I am highly allergic to bug bites, but I stopped using repellents containing Deet years ago because after about a month of using it a couple times a week I realized I was feeling wobbly and nauseous after using it each and every time.

Anyway, I experimented with a few things and what I came up with is lightly spraying myself with over the counter drug store strength rubbing alcohol (rubbing alcohol has a bit of oils in it so less drying to skin than full strength ispropyl). One word of common sense caution: keep it away from eyes, nose, and mouth.

I keep a couple small spray bottles in my home and use the alcohol to squirt those little flies that love to hang out in the sink drain during the spring, regular flies, the occasional bee that came in and can't get directed back outside and definitely mosquitoes on my patio ;-)

Of course, there are also lots of non-Deet repellents on the market, but rubbing alcohol costs a lot less money ;-)

By Deeli

Mosquito Repellent for Dogs

The previous replies may be a good idea for a repellent. If you let your dogs out into your yard a lot, it is recommended that you ensure that your property is cared for so you will not have high levels of mosquito activity.

It is essential that you eliminate any stagnant water such as bird baths, old tires, and clogged gutters. Mosquitoes need very little water to breed.

These are just a few tips on decreasing mosquito populations on your property so that not only your dog is protected, but your family is also. (08/04/2009)

By JP McHale Pest Management

Mosquito Repellent Coil
Insect Repellents Safe for Use on Pets
Home and Garden Pest Control MosquitoesAugust 11, 2010
Two kids standing in the rain wearing colorful rain boots.
Making Fabric Water Repellent
Mosquito Repellant
Mosquito Repellent Reviews
Spider on web with dew drops on it.
Spider Repellent Recipes
Mosquito Repellant
Mosquito Repellent Reviews