Thrifty Shopping Tips

One way to lower your food bill is by shopping at several stores, but not just grocery stores. If you are fortunate enough to have a bakery outlet store in your area, you can find great deals on everything from bread and buns to tortillas and cakes (a bonus is that most bread outlets give you freebies or punch cards; also check out your local "penny saver" publications for coupons).

See what food items are available at discount and dollar stores. Stores such as Big Lots and Family Dollar often have great prices on items like cereals, spices and baking products; dollar stores can be a treasure trove for snacks like chips and cookies. Plan your route in advance to save gas. Hit the grocery store last for your perishable items.

By Tricia from Tucson, AZ

Hi...In 33 states there is an organization called Angel delivers to a location once a order and pay $25. a month in advance and pick up on delivery day...You get $80. worth of food for the $25....It is also namebrand food...try checking it out in your area...I live in Michigan. It does not depend on your is avaliable for everyone....

I agree with your hint. It's surprising what you can find at Big Lots and dollar stores and outlet stores. But I've also found that one of the largest and not-inexpensive grocery stores in my area, which carries a lot of ethnic foods and lots of different brands, also carries inexpensive brands. So, next to the $6 organic whole wheat flour they also have $1.09 whole wheat flour, 5 pounds. And early in the week they mark down all the refrigerated items that are nearing their expiration date. I've gotten some excellent bargains there.

I would be very wary about buying food from dollar stores, a lot of this food comes form China and lately there's been problems regarding the purity and safety of the quality of this food. The FDA does not inspect or control these food stuffs.

I agree! I get my cereals, pop, bottled water, medicines, toiletries - almost everything at Family Dollar. Grocery stores prices are outrageous compared to Family Dollar. I don't know what I'd do without it!

Woman Grocery Shopping
Saving Money on Food
Consumer Advice Shopping Grocery ShoppingJune 14, 2007
couple reading canned food label at the market
Grocery Shopping Strategies
Catalog Shopping
Catalog Shopping Tips
Making a Reusable Shopping Bag
Making a Reusable Shopping Bag
 A woman grocery shopping.
Grocery Shopping Tips