Deleting Temporary Files On Your Computer

Computer slowing down? If you've run Spyware/Trojan programs and cleaned out your 'Cookies, History and Temps' via the Internet Options under Tools in your browser, you might want to verify that the Temp files have been removed.

1. Close out your programs.
2. Go to Start (bottom left corner of your screen)
3. Go to Run; type: %TEMP% (in the datafield box). Your temporary file should open; begin deleting!

By cajun62234 from Collinsville

Editor's Note: This is for computers that are running Windows.

Not being really computer savvy, I went there and looked and some of the pix I have on my pc were in there...are these copies of ones I have emailed? I know that sounds silly to ask but I am leary of deleting something I need. Also, what about programs that are in there? Will that delete them from my pc?

Will this work on Windows Vista. Thanks!

tootiepunkin: I've never had Vista, but you can follow the steps and if the Temporary files appear this should work.

Crafty Chrissy: Not exactly sure of your situation. Go to a pix in your regular folder and copy it to another folder. Then just delete it from the Temporary folder. At worst, you should be able to do a System Restore as a recovery. Temporary files are hidden files that Windows creates while running various programs; it's normally ok to delete these. ... ista/Delete-files-using-Disk-Cleanup

Okay, I'm what you might call semi-savvy where computers are concerned. And bear in mind, I'm on a Windows XP machine.

First, I'd recommend backing up all your documents and pictures. I have a "flash drive," aka a "jump drive" or "thumb drive. I simply open my My Documents folder and copy and paste everything in it. I know how many items should be in that folder; if the number isn't right (say, 16 instead of 15 items,) I check it out and delete if necessary.

As an alternative to the original suggestion, you could also do a search for files ending in .tmp. When the list comes up, begin highlighting and deleting. Don't forget to make a note of the time you got your important files backed up and started deleting stuff, in case you need to do a system restore. Might save losing important files.

If you're not exactly sure how to search for all files ending with a file extention ".tmp" as justplainjo suggested, do this:

1. Go to and click on: Start (bottom left)

2. Select: Search

3. Select: All files and folders.

4. In the data-field for: All or part of the file name,

type *.temp (that is: asterisk dot temp)

5. Now Select the Search button.

The computer will begin showing a list of files with .tmp extensions.

6. You can begin highlighting and deleting..

Crafty Chrissy, I know what you mean about being skeptical. I too have my doubts sometimes when messing with the 'puter. I'd suggest that if you see some items listed in the temp folder, download the original files to a disc or CD. Then proceed with the cleanout. You shouldn't have any troubles with the original files being deleted from your (i.e.,'My Pictures') folder. You have a backup [but I don't believe you will need it]. Generally if a file in the Temp folder is required by your 'puter, it'll 'Bong' and tell you that it can't be deleted. Hope this helps.

Computers TipsNovember 11, 2009
Woman using a PC.
Troubleshooting Problems with Computer Files
A laptop computer with file folders on the keyboard.
Organizing Computer Files
A group of external hard drives.
Backing Up Your Computer Files
Tips to Speed Up Your Computer