Healthy Treats For Your Dog

Catherine Forman

I would expect my vet to be pretty strict when it comes to treats and scraps for the dogs. But to my surprise, he said that you "should" share from the table once in a while!

Sharing with your dog or dogs helps to reinforce the pack bond. If they are always left out at mealtime, they don't get to feel like they are truly part of the family. Now, I'm not suggesting you put out a plate for your pups and let them chow down on dinner with you. The vet actually suggested some healthy people foods to share with the dogs.

If your dog likes to crunch, try offering raw carrots or the spine from a leaf of romaine lettuce. If your dog prefers sweet treats, slice up an apple. You don't have to go crazy and feed your dog a whole salad or fruit bowl, but a taste of something from the table once in a while will keep your pack happy. Fruit and veggies are generally pretty safe; I've had a dog that loved strawberries and oranges and would eat steamed carrots but not raw ones! My brother has two dogs who love bananas.

Some dogs love ice cubes; fish one out of your (non alcoholic) drink and let them slurp and crunch on that for a while. For many dogs, what they are getting isn't as important as just getting it. And if your dogs have a weight problem like my chubby boy dog does, you want to make sure the treats are low-calorie and healthy. Did you know that crunchy hard biscuits like Milkbones are healthier and lower in fat than soft chewy treats?

A dog's taste buds just aren't as developed or discriminating as human taste buds. They can tell if something is good, bad, or just okay, and that's about it! Not that you should give your dog the stuff you think tastes bad; a good rule of thumb is if you won't eat it, don't give it to your dog. That includes bones, gristle, fruit rinds, veggie stems, or anything else that probably belongs in the garbage or compost heap.

Moderation is key when sharing from the table, or giving any sort of treats! Biscuits, carrots, apples, or whatever you give as a special reward should be just that: special. The main part of your dog's diet shouldn't be the snack foods.

If you really want a healthy dog go on google and type in See Spot Live Longer and buy the book. Bookstores told me it wasn't available but it is, also you can try drmercola.com or mercola.com.

I have a sheltie who was rescued from a deliberate starving. When the police found her, she was caged with an automatic watering system but no food. She was down from a normal wieght of 38 pounds to about 11 pounds and had lost most of her hair. She is fully recovered and has been for about 8 years, but still eats everything and anything she can get. She particularly loves fruit and raw vegetables (except for onions).

What's wrong with veggie stems? They are edible for humans if you cook them so they aren't so tough. Most people only want the florets. Our dogs LOVE sliced raw broccoli and cauliflower stems and I can't imagine that they aren't good for them. They won't touch asparagus, however.

Please don't feed dogs anything in the onion family, grapes, raisins or chocolate. I know there are other things but I can't think of them right now.

Dogs should never be given grapes or raisins. They can be fatal. Also never feed nuts or peanut butter (per ASPCA).

Could someone give more details on this " Post By kathy (Guest Post) (04/14/2008) Also never feed nuts or peanut butter"

I have never heard or read such a thing concerning peanut butter, or regular peanuts,

This is total news to me, and I want more info. I will begin a very long deep search into this myself, Because I find this hard to believe. Any links would be greatly appreciated in this matter. Thank you

Every one of my dogs love raw organic peas from the freezer at Costco. I started the defrosting for my chubby blind lhassa. They are delicious. Sweet and fresh tasting. The other 5 pound frozen organic they love is Costco's green beans. Just plain defrosted. I never do any kind of corn as corn is not good for dogs. Raw carrots, a raw bone (only cooked ones splinter) is healthy for them.

Healthy Dog Treats
Healthy Dog Treats
Pets Dogs AdviceMay 22, 2006
Halloween treats made from bananas and oranges. The oranges look like pumpkins and the bananas look like ghosts.
Healthy Halloween Treats
A man giving his dog a Kong dog toy.
Filling Ideas for a Kong Dog Toy
Gluten-Free Dog Treats
Making Gluten-Free Dog Treats
Healthy Crockpot Recipes
Healthy Crockpot Recipes
🎄