Getting Tree Trunk To Stop Seeping

I have a big maple tree in my front yard and from spring through summer it seeps sap everywhere. It makes a mess of my car and my neighbor's cars. Would tapping it in the spring reduce the amount of sap that seeps?

By Lori from Toledo, OH

Answers

May 13, 2010 Flag

In March I cut down a River Birch tree because it was splitting. I left the trunk 10 feet high to make a wood carving. It is about 2 feet in diameter. My problem is that the tree will not stop seeping. Therefore on the south side of the tree, I have an orange gooey mess. The top is constantly dripping. What can I put on top of the tree to seal it? Thanks.

Dan from Hastings, MN

Answers:

Getting Tree Trunk To Stop Seeping

Roofing asphalt. Comes fairly cheap in large or small containers at Home Depot. Put an even layer on the top and it should stop the seeps. (05/21/2008)

By Michael the Moe

Getting Tree Trunk To Stop Seeping

Are you sure it's not a fungus? I have a silver maple that is dying (from drought, not from fungus). Last year it looked like sap was coming out of it, but then this weird fungus started growing off of it. It started out as an orangish goo.

Just a thought. Other than that, I don't know. :) (05/24/2008)

By Kim in N TX

Getting Tree Trunk To Stop Seeping

I put roofing tar on the top of the tree. It seems better but it's still dripping. I'll keep you posted. Thanks. (05/27/2008)

By Dan Mc.

Getting Tree Trunk To Stop Seeping

After applying tar, the orange goo is gone. The weather has been cool, so there are bubbles in the 1/4" of tar I applied. It appears now that it drips clear water, about a drop per second. I'm thinking about applying some "hard rock" compound on the edge. I think the tar is helping, I need a few hot days though. Thanks for your responses. I don't think it's a fungus. (05/28/2008)

By Dan Mc

Sap Dripping From a Tree
Sap Dripping From a Tree
Home and Garden Gardening Trees Tree HealthMay 13, 2010
old trunk
Recovering a Trunk With Vinyl
three ornaments
Making Christmas Tree Trunk Ornaments
Cardboard Christmas tree photo from an earlier Thriftyfun project.
Making a Cardboard Christmas Tree
Old Steamer Trunk
Cleaning and Restoring an Old Trunk
🎉
🎄