Is their a plant that repels all bugs?

Question:

Is there a plant that repels all bugs?

Lynne from London, KY

Answer:

Lynn,

There isn't one specific plant that will repel all insects, but in general, strong-smelling plants seem to work better than odorless plants. The idea is that some insects use scent to locate their host plants. If strong-smelling plants are growing nearby, the insects are more likely to become confused and move on. Try interplanting tansy, pennyroyal, lavender, peppermint (and other mints), onion, garlic and marigold.

Mixed planting is another effective strategy for controlling insects. By mixed planting, I'm referring to growing a diversity of plants rather than growing just a few types of plants. This encourages the pollinators and works to attract the kind of predatory (beneficial) insects that will naturally prey on pests. Mix planting also discourages pests from laying eggs. Many insects taste with their feet. If they land on several suitable plants in a row, will stop to lay their eggs. If they land on several different (unsuitable) plants in a row, they are more likely to move on and look elsewhere. One example of mixed planting is to plant flowers around vegetables in the garden.

Ellen

About The Author: Ellen Brown is our Green Living and Gardening Expert. Click here to ask Ellen a question! Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at http://www.sustainable-media.com

I think the answer is yes, but it depends on what exactly you're asking.

Repels all bugs in the garden? yes. it's the lowly marigold - any variety of marigold. Plant marigolds among/around your other flowers/vegetables and this keeps bugs away.

If you mean repels bugs from human skin etc. - I don't know....

hope this helps.

i don't think there is any one plant that repels ALL bugs but i agree with the other post, marigolds come close.

strong plants keep away pests too. white clover attacts good bugs and adds nitrogen to the soil. its rather invasive but it also smothers out weeds.

I purchased a citronella plant "mosquito plant" in the spring and potted it, placing it so when the dogs come to greet me, or to bed down, they rub against it which causes its aroma to fill the air. It also repels fleas and ticks. I noticed a marked difference in the mosquitos in their area this year, so many less, that I could sit longer outside to love on my dogs and when a mosquito would slip past, I would take a stick and give the leaves a few nudges, again distributing the scent. I plan to do this every year. As it reduced the cost of chemical flea control by them rubbing against it often.

Try the leaves of a Callicarpa species. Let me know

Plants That Repel Insects: Spearmint Plant
Plants That Repel Insects
Home and Garden Pest Control AdviceJanuary 25, 2007
Household Bug
Identifying Household Bugs
Europe on a globe.
Plant Hardiness Zones for France
Smashed bugs on front of car
Cleaning Love Bugs from Cars
Removing Bugs from Your Car
Removing Bugs from Your Car
🎉
🎄