Bridesmaid Dress Fabric Too Shiny

I've just received my bridesmaids dresses and don't like them at all. They're made of a brown polyester and an ivory acetate lining underneath. I love the colors, but the two fabrics together create this horrible shiny, slinky, dizzy look. Is there any spray or a way to take away the shine without taking the fabric out or buying a new dress?

Christina from Bethesda, MD

I bet someone at a fabric shop or craft store may know of something to use. If you can't spray it or something, maybe a seamstress can sew some kind of slip in...I hope it doesn't become too stressful. I got married less than a year ago, and some things that I stressed to the max about just weren't worth it in the end.

Sounds to me as if the underskirt material is the problem.If you have a friend or relative who sews she probably can cut it out from inside and make a new one of a matching brown cotton of soft satin and it should tone it down.If it doesn't really need the extra lining inside and is not too see-through,cut it out and don't use any lining.Bless your heart,little details can sure stress out a Bride.Just remember it's only one day.Let this be the happiest day of your life! GOOD LUCK!!

Shiny is not a dizzy look.Slinky is gorgeous and elegant.The word shine comes from a old Germanic word Shoen.Which means beautiful.My suggestion is to leave the bridesmaids gowns exactly the same, because it you tamper with the satin fabric's intended shineyou are going to damage the gowns and even cause them to loose any retail value if you decide to sell them on an ebay or other site.