Hair Is Frizzy At Roots

My hair has become frizzy right at the roots not at the ends. It looks like I have a fine layer of frizz all over the top of my head. Its embarrassing and nothing I have tried for frizzy hair works. Not even the expensive products. I have long hair. It's blonde and fine. Please help me, I'm desperate!

Liz from Dallas, Texas

It sounds as though some sort of chemical or hormonal change has taken place, making this an internal, rather than external issue.

Are you peri-menopausal? Changes in hormone levels can certainly affect hair. As women age our hormone levels drop and every part of our bodies are affected, including our hair.

Have you been on any kind of medication (or changes in medicine) for a while now? Some meds will definitely affect hair (and nail) texture and growth.

Have you changed your eating habits? Sometimes, in an effort to lose weight, people reduce their fat intake to levels that don't provide the necessary oils to maintain healthy hair, skin & nail care.

Perhaps you should speak with your doctor about the change since it's of some concern to you. It may be there's an internal medical reason you both need to know about.

Try going into the afro sheen product section of your store they have a clear tube called curls. It is a gel saves your curls removes ALL frizz. I have very thick natural curl hair and I have to use this during humidity season it works. Another quick thing to do is have a conditioner and put some in your hands when your hair is dry and just apply to ends and frizzy areas it will help. Good luck

Take a close look at others with your hair type. It's normal to have some short stuff popping up. You could glue it down with gels and whatnot, but first see if it's normal.

It sounds as though your hair is growing out already damaged. Try not to wash it as often to give it a chance. I have found dove shampoo and conditioner to be the gentlest. I buy it from Sam's club. I only shampoo every other day and use conditioner every time I wet my hair. Do you take a multivitaminor fish oil supplements? Those help with hair regeneration. Also, are you dyeing, perming or heat drying/straightening your hair? That can cause a lot of damage. Try and find a style that works well with your natural texture.

Trim your hair regularly. It sounds like you've got split ends from whatever hair treatment. Once a split end starts it is easier for it to "grow" up the hair shaft. Think about a crack in wood. It will keep cracking if not taken care of. Hair grows back so trim that hair!

If you can't live without blow drying, try blow drying from the roots to right above the start of the frizz. Add a treatment suitable for your hair type and leave the frizz alone. If you add the right product, it should dry straight enough to be manageable.

Hope this helps!

Beautiful woman with frizzy hair looking at her comb, with a pained expression
Remedies for Frizzy Hair
Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips Frizzy HairSeptember 29, 2008
Closeup of a gopher.
Getting Rid of Gophers
Fixing Frizzy Doll Hair
Fixing Frizzy Doll Hair
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink