Use It Up, Wear It Out, Fix It or Do Without

By Beverly 10 6

I have a little money saver here. With the recent down turn with the economy, I now live by different rules. Use it up, wear it out, fix it or do without. I have never had new furniture and what I had, I got second hand when I got it and it was all busted down. It wasn't even worth giving away. I got new furniture and put the old furniture in the dining room.

I then started cutting it up. The stuffing in the pillows that you lean back on and the stuffing in the arms. I took out and put in a garbage bag to save it. I'm going to make some throw pillows for the living room and the bedrooms to match. Tomorrow, I am taking apart all that wood and am going to build me some shelves.

The material that is no good so I am going to burn it in my trash barrel. I guess the only thing that I can't use are the metal springs. (unless someone else has some ideas on this). If ya'll ever find yourself in this situation, find uses to it around the house. Hope I've helped someone else.

By Beverly from Havana, Arkansas

Showing: Comments Sort

thr522587 Flag

I'd venture to bet that there are many, many more in a similar situation or will be soon so thanks for sharing your personal choices. As for the sofa springs, perhaps you can just put them aside for now because a use will come to light sometime in the future.

Oh, and the fabric that you plan to burn? Why don't you wash it, cut/shred it up and use it for additional stuffing for the pillows or maybe stuffed animal toys or donate it to a retirement center that might be able to use it for crafts instead of burning it?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By glenda 4 Flag

Put the springs somewhere to rust lightly then sell them for craft use. Lads of people buy them especially when they are rusted for heaps of craft work.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Jacquelyn Valentine 13 193 Flag

I agree with Deeli, you've done such a marvelous job of reusing all of your sofa, why not come up with a way to use that material? If nothing else, make a dog or cat pallet out of it.

If there's an upholstery place in your town, maybe they could use the springs.

This is what we all need to get back to. Its the right thing to do, make the most of everything you have. BRAVO!!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Better Living Frugal Living AdviceOctober 14, 2009
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Repairing a Hole in Drywall
Repairing a Hole in Drywall
Woman Holding Up Shirt With Iron Burn
Wrinkle Free Clothes Without Ironing
Woman with a Leg Cast
Underwear to Wear with a Leg Cast
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 9, 2016 at 7:56:21 AM on 10.0.1.208 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings