Removing Sump Pump Oil Stains

Would someone kindly clue me in on how to remove the oil that has poured out of the small, yet monstrous, sump pump? Of course, I opened it by the sink, so it's on the countertop, countertop wood trim, wood cabinet door, my Levi's left leg, and a nice lake like puddle on the open face wood floor. It's a medium weight, clear, petroleum base oil. Thank you way ahead of time.

Jane from Baltimore, MD

If it were mine, on the countertop, if white Formica or Corian, I'd clean it up wearing vinyl gloves, using paper towels, non-bleached powdered sink cleanser, and alcohol first on one edge of the stain. Do not rub hard nor long, just lightly into the micro-pores.

If stained lightly, use Cream Peroxide from Beauty Supply "puddled" on the stain overnight or longer. Test before wiping all up, because it might need to stay longer. If badly stained, it may need several applications, and clear plastic wrap over it to prevent evaporation.

If med. beige color, try a spot test in the back corner with Rust Remover for clothing (has multiple uses) on DRY counter top, test every 5 min, then rub lightly if needed, and rinse with cold water and dry. May need two applications,

On countertop wood trim,wood cabinet door and floor, I'd most definitely use a professional who knows how to "bleach" wood cabinets. It's an art. Do NOT try it yourself. It will NOT be worth trying to cut corners in that area. Ask for references.

On Levi's left leg, I'd pour LesToil concentrate straight on the stain, let sit one hour then wash. If it is not removed, dry it and then try WD40 first, followed by Dawn Liq. dish soap directly to the stain and use a floor brush in gentle circular motions with only a little water sprayed on the WD residual and Dawn soap.

God bless and help you. : )

Home and Garden Cleaning AdviceJanuary 20, 2009
Pump Bottle
Reusing Pump Bottles
dirty garage floor
Removing Oil Stains from Garage Floor
Up close photo of a dirty driveway.
Removing Oil Spills from Your Driveway
Jug of used motor oil.
Removing Motor Oil Stains From Carpet