By Alycia from OK
Boric acid is not a very safe product to use. If you decide to use it be very careful as it is not completely safe. You can get more information from the national poison control center.
Boric acid poisoning
Boric acid is a dangerous poison. Poisoning from this chemical can be acute or chronic. Acute boric acid poisoning usually occurs when someone swallows powdered roach-killing products that contain the chemical.
Chronic poisoning occurs in those who are repeatedly exposed to boric acid. For example, in the past, boric acid was used to disinfect and treat wounds. Patients who received such treatment over and over again got sick, and some died.
This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual poison exposure. If you have an exposure, you should call your local emergency number (such as 911) or the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.
Don't get the regular Boric Acid powder that is marketed for roach control, roaches often just feed off of this. Go to the drugstore and ask the pharmacist for Boric Acid Eyewash; just a little of this powder sprinkled in spots like under the fridge and behind the stove usually does the trick!
Try sprinkling boric acid powder along the perimeter of the house-interior and exterior. I used it for years and always had good results.
Run a line of the powder along the back wall of all cabinets, along the baseboards, and outside run the line at the foundation wall all the way around the house as close to the foundation walls as you can get the powder. Reapply every time it rains, and at least once a month to keep the critters out.
You can find the product at most grocery, drug, and big box stores, but I've found it is always less expensive at a feed and seed store. One brand is Roach-Proof. Read the label carefully and follow the directions to the letter; properly applied it is safe to use around pets and children.
There are other products out there, boric acid is the least expensive and most effective. When I lived in the American South I ended up buying a two gallon sprayer and applying Liquid Sevin monthly-a bit more expensive than boric acid but even safer around pets and children because it dries and is perfectly safe to walk on or put a food container on. You wouldn't want to walk through boric acid powder, or put a food container too close to it.
Whatever chemical you choose, the most important thing is that you read the label very carefully, and follow the directions strictly to the letter. It's the only way to get the desired results while minimising the dangers to your family. Anything you use to eliminate roaches successfully will be a chemical that if applied incorrectly, can harm you and yours.
Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to answer this question.