Training a Hyper Dog

My dog Daisy is about 3 years old and I adopted her from the shelter about a year and a half ago. She was terrified of everything when I brought her home. She has gotten over most of her fears, but it is hard to discipline her because when she gets nervous or excited she pees everywhere. I normally take her out to meet guest so she doesn't wet on the carpet or furniture.

I talked to the vet and they said that it takes a special person with a lot of patience to care for her. She is very loyal and I love her very much even if she has turned out to be very hyper. She is part Jack Russel and part?

Also we have a problem with her jumping up on guests and we try to keep her toenails trimmed, but some people are not dog people and just don't appreciate her trying to show them how happy she is to see them.

Also, I wonder if she will ever outgrow the urge to chew on things. I buy her the rawhide bones so she won't destroy clothing or other things in the house.

I would appreciate any suggestions on how to discipline her because she came from an abused home, plus any suggestions about the chewing on things and how to teach her not to jump on people would be helpful also. Thank you.

By Melissa from Cullman, AL

No muss, no fuss, find an obedience class that offers the following:

8 lessons covering, heel, sit/stay, down and long lead sit/stay and down. Offers Canine Good Citizen Certificate.

It's 8 weeks of structured lessons. Classes are usually once a week, with practice every day for the next 6 days. It's fun and gives the person a unique perspective on how to keep your dog under control at all times, assures the dog will return on command and most important obedience training creates mutual, sustaining trust and understanding between you and your dog.

A good class is well worth the time and money.

How to find a group class. Check local newspaper, vet's office, pet store or word of mouth. Dog show people and long time breeders can have a good handle on obedience.

I did an 8 week course following the Koehler Method of Dog Training. It's out of date but a copy through Amazon is under $8 including shipping. The trainers were former breeders and showed in conformation.

First of all stop giving her rawhide as its not fully digested and she could choke on it. The jumping up on people you could break her of that-i saw a tv trainer who broke that habit by turning your back on her when she does it once she stops then acknowledge her with affection. The hyper part I read in one on my dog magazine is energy that maybe tapered with long walks and playtime.You best bet is to get a training book or go on line and google how to train a dog that ______. Good luck I hope you don't give up on her.

Pets Dogs Training AdviceJune 13, 2010
pug in a crate
Crate Training a Dog
Pug looking guilty.
Training a Dog to Poop on a Training Pad
Photo of a mistreated Pit Bull.
Training a Dog That Was Abused
agility training for your dog
Agility Training for Your Dog
🎄
🍂